Lecter is a Lucille and possibly pregnant!

Go down

Lecter is a Lucille and possibly pregnant!

Post by Gothicwolf on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:20 pm

I got Lecter from Petsmart, and was told that store only carrys male rodants, they had three mice together. Well I have had my mouse for over a week now and had my suspicion, so I checked and is definitely a female, but I noticed she is acting strange, she is eating and drinking more, has become less active and is building a nest in igloo house, the nest is completely round and deep with her in the center. She doesn't look pregnant though but I've read some mice show less, does it sound like she is pregnant? And if she is should I return her to the store? I have 2 days left on the 14 day return period and I just wanted a male.

Gothicwolf

Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lecter is a Lucille and possibly pregnant!

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 8:32 pm

Personally I wouldn't be able to return her as I would already be attached to her, I would keep her. I believe in fate and I believe she was meant to be with you. Very Happy

She may not be pregnant. Sometimes new mice eat and drink a lot at first as the are getting better food than they did at the pet store. The nest she has built just sounds like a normal mouse nest to me.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:44 pm

The other thing to consider is that females cannot live happily alone.  If you keep her, she needs friends.  

the behavior you described doesn't necessarily indicate pregnancy, it could be normal behavior.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gothicwolf on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 11:27 am

I really like Lucille, so I will keep her, and if she isn't pregnant I'll consider getting her a friend. When I got her I thought she was male, and the woman at Petsmart told me that both genders of mice need company, I didn't know males need to live alone, I foolishly bought three mice and two ended up dead and Lucille cannibalized the bodys. So I don't know if she will get along with other mice.

Gothicwolf

Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 9:02 pm

These pet store employees sure do need to be trained better so they can give customers the proper information. That is really sad.

If Lucille won't get along with other mice, just be sure to give her lots and lots of attention as you will be her only buddy Very Happy

I'm happy to hear you are keeping her!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gothicwolf on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 10:21 pm

I figured if she doesn't get along with other mice it's best to keep her by herself, plus I'm still not 100% what gender my mouse is, so best to play it safe and I give her a lot of attention. I love how she will sit on my shoulder or calmly in my hand and let me pet her, I am now pretty sure she isn't pregnant, thank you for all the help

Gothicwolf

Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 10:43 pm

If you get a chance, can you share a photo of Lucille? Would love to see her!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gothicwolf on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 11:18 pm

Here are a few pictures of her as well as a couple of her backside, does this look like a female or male?

Gothicwolf

Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 11:47 pm

First off, Lecter is adorable.  Second, despite the poor quality of the photos, I'm fairly confident that your mouse is a male.  Which would explain the carnage you described with the two other mice.  That is fairly common behavior in male mice but very usual for a female.

so it looks like you ended up with exactly what you wanted in the first place, one male mouse.  male mice have the ability to puff up or suck in their testicles.  So, that could explain why he doesn't look how you would expect.  He also looks very young, so he might not be fully mature yet.  if you can get a better photo of his bottom, in better light, i could tell you for sure.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 12:47 pm

The first photo definitely looks like a male to me. So I think it's back to Lecter! Dance He sure is a cutie!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down