Aspen bedding is gross

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aspen bedding is gross

Post by CallaLily on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:46 pm

I know it's often recommended to avoid it to stay on the safe side because of possible allergies, but I recently picked up a big bag to try again and save some money. I haven't used it in a few years because of reactions to it from some of the humans in the house.  But even without taking that into consideration, I won't be picking it up again...

I know many feel it's great for odor control --and I thought the same thing at first-- but when the week was up and I went in to clean, it was  nasty. Reminded me of the stinky (yet totally adorable please-don't-kill-me-bunny-people) rabbit mess. Ick. How did I ever use this stuff before. Sick

I didn't use it for long with mice back then, but I had used it for other pets for some time.  I dont remember it being so stinky.  Anyway... just my experience this time and thought I'd share.  I'll be sticking to paper bedding from now on (unless I can ever get my hands on hemp or flax to try).

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Re: Aspen bedding is gross

Post by Mice Are Cute on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes! Aspen is so terrible smelling! Since I changed Biggy and Grayson to paper bedding, my nose has gotten a break. Unfortunately, I still have to put up with it, because of the chickens! Laughing

Remembering: Rainbow Angel Blondie Obi (Hamster)

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Abigail and Scarlet (Silkie Chickens)
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

View user profile https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Really? I used aspen for mice when I was newer to small pet care. Actually, I used pine first, before aspen, so even worse. I don't remember it being any worse than paper bedding in terms of cleanup, but maybe I've forgotten. I've wanted to try it with my hammy, since it's fine for hamsters, but maybe I better not, lol.

I know what you mean about the rabbit mess, hahaha, when I was caring for that rabbit for a while, there was a tray under the cage to catch the poo/pee lol, and there was no litter in it. It was really gross, I had to carry it across the yard and dump it in the trash can, then spray it off with the hose Sick I did not know rabbits could be so smelly.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:11 pm

I tried aspen again a while ago, when my sweet HoneyBee was still around. I actually liked it, but I bet its quality can vary by the brand.

I stopped using it because one day, HoneyBee climbed onto my hand and was totally bald on her underside! Oops. Poor girly.

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, Ladybug, and Petunia
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:10 pm

I buy like a 50 lit. bag of aspen and I have no problem? It's half my height (5'3"). I use the so phresh brand, which I then let air out because the bag isn't resealable anyway. It doesn't smell like much given that I leave it in my tiny closet that I don't use. I use 1.5-2 inches of aspen at the bottom then half an inch of pretty care fresh bedding. I also put botanical hay in their cage, not too much because they make amazing nests with all this material. Smile

Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:11 am

Just my experience with it. I know many, especially in the hamster community, love it. I also picked up a HUGE bag of So Phresh aspen. I still have some left that I mix with paper bedding in the hamster bin and for the snake. It's not as bad with them but I don't plan on buying a new bag when I run out.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top