Questions About Father and Mother together

Go down

Questions About Father and Mother together

Post by Koriko on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:41 pm

So I have quite a few questions (which will involve a wall of text so my apologies in advance), but I'll give a run down first.
I work for a family run pet store and I saw that we got in two feeder mice who were simply too cute to be fed to a snake, so I decided to ask my boss if I could breed them and sell they're offspring as pets. She agreed and the mom gave birth to 9 babies today. (We get our mice from a friend of the family and not a random feeder breeder)
I know breeding animals takes experience and a lot of genetic awareness, so I'm prepared for any obstacles that may lie ahead. We've bred a lot of mice at the store, however, this time, I've kept the Mom and Dad together and am wondering how to go about things.
TLDR: Breeding two mice for work and now have 9 babies.

For my questions:

1. Should I separate the mother and father?
TLDR: Father is great with kids, but trying to get the mom pregnant again. Worried Mom will get stressed out.

I believe they are siblings and have been together since birth cause they're markings are very similar and they get along really well. I've been watching them both on how they handle the children and the Father so far has not shown any malice towards the babies. (It's been about 8 hours since she's given birth) He's been helping the Mom build the nest and sitting on them whenever she leaves. However, the only problem is he's trying to get her pregnant again. I do intend to breed them again, but not this soon since I don't want her to be overloaded and stressed. Should I therefore separate them until the babies are fully grown or just keep an eye on them? I don't want the Father to be depressed from being alone either.

2. Can the babies suffocate from being sat on wrong?

Both my mice love each other a lot to the point where the Dad doesn't want to leave the Mom alone and they will both end up sitting on the babies together. Is this something I should be worried about?

3. Can Father mice end up being overprotective of the babies?

Are there any chances of this happening? Like the Father won't let the mom near the children? Or am I being paranoid?

4. Can I get them a running wheel?

I don't want the Father to be bored when the Mom is taking care of the babies (and maybe it'll help him leave her alone once in a while) but I'm afraid that might be too dangerous when the babies start crawling around. Or if the mom is pregnant.

Also some extra details: I have them in a 10 gallon tank with a wooden hidey hut on one side and a two room cardboard house, I made, on the other. The house has a big main room with two entrances and a smaller room that has one entrance and does not connect to the bigger room.

Thanks so much in advance!

Koriko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Questions About Father and Mother together

Post by Mice Are Cute on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

I am not very great on these things, but I'm thinking the running wheel is okay. Not so sure about the other things though. There are a lot more people that know about this, so I'm sure your questions will be answered! Very Happy

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

View user profile https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Moose on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 6:28 pm

You're going to need to separate the father ASAP, as this can result in the mother having a litter before the first litter is completely weaned. I don't think breeding mice is a good idea, as you have no idea the background of these mice. Lots of health problems could occur, and I think that breeding should only be done for the betterment of the species as a whole. Maybe you should try to track your lines, and get a few foundation mice from a reputable breeder.

1. Yes, separate the father ASAP.
2. Not sure, but I wouldn't worry.
3. Possibly, because sometimes nannies will steal babies, I imagine this is no different. You need to separate the father anyway.
4. I think a wheel is fine, but again, the father needs his own cage.

Winter Moose

No Mood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 6:40 pm

I'm just going to type a quick reply and come back to this later.  Separate the father immediately.  It's unhealty for the mother and babies for her to get pregnant right away.  No wheel in the cage with the babies.  No, the mother can't suffocate the babies.  I'll write more when i get to my computer.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 6:58 pm

I agree with what was said above, here is a bit about it from the "Breeding Packet" sticky:
Breeding Packet wrote:A female can come back into heat within hours after giving birth. This is called "postpartum estrus." If a male is with a female when she gives birth, it is extremely likely that he has mated her again. This will result in a back to back pregnancy. The second litter will likely be born before her first litter is fully weaned. The first litter shouldn't be weaned before 28 days, yet the second litter will likely arrive at 20 days. This will usually force the mother to wean her oldest litter faster, which isn't good for their health. Additionally, the second litter will be weaker because of all the stress on the mother. It is shown that babies resulting from a back to back pregnancy will live shorter lives and have far more health problems than babies born to a mother that didn't have a back to back pregnancy.

If a male mouse is left in with a female when she has her babies, he may react in a few different ways. He may kill the babies. Male mice have a couple reasons for doing this... If he doesn't recognize the babies as his, he will kill them so he can impregnate the female with his babies. This ensures his genes' survival. He may also kill them because he is jealous. Sometimes a male will kill the babies because he feels that they are taking the mom's attention away from him. It is possible that he will ignore them entirely. This is doubtful but possible. Lastly, he might be the world's greatest dad. Male mice are amazing creatures when it comes to fatherhood. In many species, the male will abandon or kill the babies all of the time. Mice, however, are the opposite. Most of the time a father mouse will be very supportive of the mother and their young, so long as he knows they are his. A male actually has an internal clock of sorts, which will tell him if the babies are his based on conception date and birth date. A male is usually a better "nanny" than a female nanny. However, leaving him in with the mom almost always ensures that the mother will get pregnant again after having her litter. This is very hard on them all and can cause serious health issues, as stated above. A father should never be permitted to live with a mother and babies.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Koriko on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 7:15 pm

Thanks everyone. I did separate him, I just hope he doesn't get depressed being alone.
As with breeding mice, we usually only breed for feeders, but I didn't want these guys to be fed to snakes :c We'll only be breeding them twice and then I'll be adopting them both, possibly neutering the Father and keeping them as my own.

Koriko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 11:47 pm

Males do not get depressed alone, in fact males should actually live alone. Never with any other males, but you insist on placing him with a female, he will need to be neutered by an experienced vet but it is very expensive.

Please read over our breeding packet. It's got a lot of important information about how to care for the mother and the pups.

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

Our forum is dedicated to the care of pet mice and while we don't prohibit feeder breeders, we discourage it. We understand that snakes need to eat too, but it saddens us that live mice are still being used and that the industry continues to breed them under such horrible conditions.

I'm glad to hear that you will be keeping the two as pets. If you do breed them again, at least let us help you do it safely and make sure that they have the best care possible. Every animal should know love.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down