Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

URI! :(

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

URI! :(

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:11 pm

I found Autumn hunched over and breathing heavily a few minutes ago. I picked her up and she just let me, which is very odd. She sat in my hand with her mouth open, wheezing and I could hear her trying to get air in but struggling. I petted her and tried to keep her comfortable, I thought she was going to die. The episode ended, however, and she went back to sleep with her sisters. We made a vet appointment for tomorrow morning, but I'm worried about her, is there anything I can do for her?

We had to make the appointment at a more expensive vet because the better priced vet apparently had a small animal doctor and he quit just recently Undecided We called every single vet and some interrupted as soon as we said we had a mouse, telling us they don't treat mice. Crying or Very sad I didn't think this would be so hard!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: URI! :(

Post by Winter Moose on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:57 pm

I'll pray for little Autumn. Well, not so little. I hope she's alright.

Winter Moose

Elated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Thank you, WW.

I went ahead and cleaned out the tank too, put fresh Carefresh, and tried to stay away from wood items, in hopes it will make it easier for her to breathe. Everything is mostly ceramic or plastic, except a few chews. Not sure what else to do, hopefully she can hang on until morning. She's just sleeping in the hide with Lilac and Blossom right now, Clover is sleeping somewhere else.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:58 am

If you have a humidifier, you can set that up near the tank... it can help ease breathing. Other than that, keep her warm and hydrated and get her to the vet as soon as possible.

good luck, keep up posted.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:19 am

@scaredymouse wrote:If you have a humidifier, you can set that up near the tank... it can help ease breathing.  Other than that, keep her warm and hydrated and get her to the vet as soon as possible.

good luck, keep up posted.
That's a good idea, thank you! I don't think warmth is much of a problem, as it is still in the 80's or 90's here. Also, she's been sleeping with her sisters a lot today, which probably provides a lot of warmth too. Luckily, it seems she's still eating and drinking on her own. I did give her a little bit of food I made for her, though. I just crushed up a few treats and put the crumbs in water to make a sort of mushy food that was easy for her to eat. She happily ate a large helping. It seems she's handling this pretty well. Today after that scary episode, she's been eating, drinking, walking around, and grooming not only herself, but others too! She just had another few minutes where she had her mouth open and was hunched over, but it went away after a little while and she recovered quite well. Hopefully nothing else will happen overnight, I will definitely let you know what happens!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:10 am

I hope all will be alright. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Wow - that was both stressful and exciting! Lol! My first trip to the vet went well. Autumn made it through the night very well, I checked on her a few times and 2 of those times I found her eating.

The vet was so impressed at how docile she was. She said that she didn't look like "your typical mouse" and that she usually sees mice that Petco brings in. She said she was the sweetest mouse she'd ever seen, and that she had the biggest ears she'd ever seen. She asked me if she was a dumbo, lol, and I told her she was from a show breeder and that's why her ears were big. She checked to see if she was hydrated, and she was, and even listened to her with a stethoscope. Autumn wasn't too happy about the stethoscope! She said that she suspects it might be a lower respiratory infection and not an upper. Autumn has to take Baytril and a probiotic. She took the medicine very well at the vet's. They handled her very well and didn't even pick her up by her tail once. I am very pleased!

Also, question... The vet told me to keep her away from the other mice and put her in her own tank, but I know that isn't generally recommended on here. What are your thoughts?

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Ok, now I'm a little scared for her again. She was hunched over on their favorite puzzle playground toy. She was breathing really hard with her mouth open, struggling. Then all of the sudden, I think she stopped breathing, because she freaked out and started darting around the tank panicking, I could hear her her tail whacking the toys in the tank because she was freaking out running all over. She then went back in the puzzle playground and was breathing harder and faster. Poor baby, I really wish I could do something for her! I asked if we have a humidifier and was told no, we have a vaporizer. I really think she's having a hard time breathing and is trying so hard. Sad

Edit: Her breathing has slowed down to a normal rate, though she doesn't have an appetite anymore and remains in a hunched position. I can't tell if she's better or worse Worry We went ahead and put the vaporizer by the cage, with a thing to monitor humidity. It's at 60% humidity, what is a good level?

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:38 pm

This is very stressful and scary for you. I sure do hope she will be ok. I wish there was something I could do to help. Please keep us updated.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:43 pm

I wouldn't separate her. If it's something infectious, the others have already been exposed. Just watch them carefully.

Humidity is best between 30% and 70%, but 40% is a good point to strive for. Make sure she stays hydrated if she's stopped eating, maybe look into some KMR, Gatorade or Pedialyte. Check out the Emergency Supplies section for instructions and a Pedialyte recipe.

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet#14

I hope she'll recover quickly! Good vibes

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Thank you for the information, Peachy! After having the vaporizer on for a few hours, she seems to be feeling a little better. She's finally moving around again and is not just hunched over in a hide. I saw her eat a small serving of food, and get a short little drink from the water bottle, so at least I know her appetite is coming back. She is sleeping with everyone else again and not sleeping all alone like she was a while ago. Hopefully she only improves from now on, she's kind of confusing me with the way she will act completely fine one moment, and act like she's deathly ill another. Worry

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm

So good to hear that she's feeling better! Ups and downs aren't abnormal, just keep watching for changes and keep up with the medicine. Smile

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:00 am

Poor baby. I hope she's feeling better soon. You're doing a great job taking care of her.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you, she's doing okay so far today. It was really a struggle to get the medicine in her mouth though, I feel like it stressed her out a lot. My dad had to help me because I couldn't do it myself. We had to wrap her up in a cloth so she wouldn't squirm around, and make her drink it from the syringe. She wouldn't voluntarily take it like she did at the vet. She seemed ok afterwards though, and just went in a hide and groomed herself for a while.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:45 pm

She was in the hide right now and I put a dried banana piece in front of her since I was giving everyone bananas tonight for treats. She unfortunately completely ignored it Sad The fact that she is in the hide with her sisters and not hunched over in a different hide by herself is still good though. Here's a couple pics:

Edit: After doing further research on Baytril, I figured out that the medicine can have some side effects, including lethargy and loss of appetite. So it might not even be the illness causing it, which is good news Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum