Safe, well Ventilated Cage Lid?

Go down

Safe, well Ventilated Cage Lid?

Post by CucumberMouse on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 1:24 pm

So, I live with a couple of cats in addition to my mouse. I currently keep my mouse in my bedroom and I try to keep the door closed to keep the cats out of the room (I usually have the windows opened a bit while I'm at the house to allow some of the mouse smell to escape my room). But, I think the cats have figured out how to open the door to my room on their own, and even if they haven't I have a bad habit of leaving the door open. One of my cats is obsessed with my mouse, she won't leave him alone! My dresser is near the cage so she is able to easily jump on top of the cage, and my mouse doesn't seem to be too afraid of her. Right now I have an almost completely solid lid, to make sure my cats can't get to my mouse. However, this lid offers hardly any ventilation and I'm worried it might affect my mouse's health. My fear is that if I use a mesh lid, my cat might find a way to reach her claws through the top of the cage and hurt my mouse (he's not afraid of my cat really at all, so if she jumped on his cage, he might run up to the top of the mesh lid to "greet" her rather than running away). There's really no other place I have room to move my cage to. Any suggestions on what kind of lid I could use, or how to make sure my cats can't hurt my mouse? Undecided
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe, well Ventilated Cage Lid?

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 9:17 pm

You must have a lid with plenty of ventilation. Mice have very delicate respiratory systems and having no great ventilation in their habitat is not an option. Pet stores sell metal mesh lids for aquariums and you can buy clips to keep the lid secure. Please make sure you get a metal mesh lid as soon as possible. I don't mean to sound bossy, but it's very important.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 10:48 pm

Yes, I know, and don't worry you didn't seem bossy. I understand the consequences of not having enough ventilation. I'm just worried that my cat could fit her claws into the gaps between the mesh lids. In the past, I've done a bad job about making sure my cat can't fit her claws into my pet cages/get to the animals inside, and it didn't end well... Worry Plus the pet stores don't sell mesh lids that fit my cage. I'm stuck now trying to figure out how I can give my mouse proper ventilation (I definitely don't want him to get a respiratory infection or anything like that), but also keep him out of harm's way from the cats. I was wondering if any of you had ideas on lids I could make/buy that could fix the problem?
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:07 pm

I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble in the past that didn't end well. I'm sure we can come up with a solution. What about some way to have a double metal mesh guard. So if your mouse climbed up to the mesh lid, there would be a space and then the next section of metal mesh. So if the cat got it's nail in the mesh, it wouldn't reach your mouse. I hope I'm making sense Very Happy  I can see the idea in my head, just not sure if I'm explaining it well enough. Also, what type of enclosure is your mouse in? Can I see a photo?
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:08 am

Keeping the cat out is the safest option, but I understand how that isn't always easy with sneaky kitties.

I like @Rodents rock!'s idea about a double mesh lid. What kind of cage is it and what size?  If it's not a standard aquarium size you might have to make your own lid, but if it is there's usually more lid options online than in stores.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:13 pm

That sounds like a great idea! I'm okay with building my own lid. My mouse lives in an ikea detolf right now, and he does fine in it. Thank you so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it Very Happy
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:50 pm

@CucumberMouse wrote:That sounds like a great idea! I'm okay with building my own lid. My mouse lives in an ikea detolf right now, and he does fine in it. Thank you so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it Very Happy

Cool Very Happy Let us know how it goes!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:35 pm

Okay, I'll do that. I think I'll be going to pick up supplies in the next few 2-3 days to make the lid
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 1:00 pm

My mice (the boys) each live in a plastic bin. The bins came with a lid that fastens down with clips on two sides. For ventilation, my husband drilled holes in the lids about 1 inch apart, all over the lid. It took a long time to do this, but it has worked successfully. I keep the boys in the closet with an air filter in the middle of the room. The air filter also blows like a fan, but it is not blowing directly on any mouse cage. I keep our air conditioner at 75 degrees with the vent pointing at the closet. This is working for me. Maybe you can rig up something like this for your mouse. If your cage were also on a middle shelf, kitty could not sit on top of it, if you get my meaning.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down