Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible parasyte/Mites infection? Is it harmful to humans?

Go down

Possible parasyte/Mites infection? Is it harmful to humans? Empty Possible parasyte/Mites infection? Is it harmful to humans?

Post by Illumimoe666 on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 4:00 pm

I noticed my girls got sickly and then developed black dots, when I picked one of them up a bunch of black specs were on my hand, then I looked closer they started moving! I have no idea what it is! I looked at images of Mites but then these bugs look a little longer. They're clear with black little insides in the middle. They are also VERY VERY small. Probably the size of a bread crumb.
My mom's biggest concern is if they are harmful to humans? When I had a bunch of them on my hand they didn't seem to bite. I then let one crawl on my hand while I was trying to identify it and I think it may of bit me. I even now see a very small hole in my finger (ITS SUPER small though and feels like nothing) This could be being paranoid though.
I looked up lice and they look similar except the ones my mice have seem to be a little clearer (Could be a different type though?)
As for my micey's -
I'm very concerned. I know the obvious thing is to take them to the vet which i'm hoping i'll be able to do soon! But at this moment I cannot. Atleast not today or the next couple of days, The closest vet that treats rodents is hours away.
i'm mainly asking if anybody can identify these specks and what I can do till then?

Thank you
*Edit* I forgot to mention, one of my mice was found dead today Sad( She was old so i'm not sure if it had to do with these little bugs, but I suspect it might have... God, i feel so horrible.

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

http://middyrose.deviantart.com or middyrose.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Possible parasyte/Mites infection? Is it harmful to humans? Empty Re: Possible parasyte/Mites infection? Is it harmful to humans?

Post by stephlisa on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 4:48 pm

Hiya, there's a sticky on lice/mites treatment somewhere in the health section (just here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites )
Have you ever treated your mice with Ivermectin? This is something you can do without a vet visit, although if you are concerned always go to the vet. There are instructions in the link above.

I don't have enough experience to say what they could be or if they are harmful to humans.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Possible parasyte/Mites infection? Is it harmful to humans? Empty Re: Possible parasyte/Mites infection? Is it harmful to humans?

Post by CallaLily on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 5:11 pm

Sounds like lice to me. Check out the link @stephlisa shared.

Lice are species specific. They will not transfer to humans (human lice are much different), cats, dogs, etc. They may hop on for a ride but will not stay for any length of time at all. They can not live off of species other than their specific species host.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down