Will this be an okay bedding for mice?

Go down

Will this be an okay bedding for mice?

Post by Quirkyvictorian on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:50 am

I'm making plans to get a male mouse when I feel like I'm knowledgeable enough. I'm absolutely brand new to mice, and actually have never owned any type of small mammal. I posted a whole barrage of questions yesterday, which many of you were gracious enough to help me with. But now, I've thought of another.

I use coconut fibre substrate for my inverts, and I really like it. I was planning on going with Carefresh bedding for my mouse, but I've just had a thought and wonder if coconut fibre would be okay? I already have tons of the stuff, because for inverts you don't really need to change out the substrate hardly ever. Has anyone used/heard of anyone using coco fibre? Is it good, is it bad, or is it just one of those things where it's okay but more traditional types of small animal bedding have advantages over it so there's no point? If so, what are those advantages? Are there any problems that I should be aware of if I was going to use it?

I'm so sorry for all the questions I've had. I just always feel like I need to know absolutely everything I possibly can about a pet before I get it, and sometimes I go a little overboard with the questions. Embarassed
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will this be an okay bedding for mice?

Post by Mice Are Cute on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:46 pm

It's great the amount of questions you are asking! That means you truly care about you future buddy. I never heard of anyone using Coconut Fibre substrate, and it is a cool idea, but since there isn't much knowledge on it, it might pose a risk. I am not really sure though. I would  personally go with carefreash, but it is your call Very Happy I hope there is someone that knows more about then me!

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

View user profile https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirkyvictorian on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:59 pm

@Mice Are Cute wrote:It's great the amount of questions you are asking! That means you truly care about you future buddy. I never heard of anyone using Coconut Fibre substrate, and it is a cool idea, but since there isn't much knowledge on it, it might pose a risk. I am not really sure though. I would  personally go with carefreash, but it is your call Very Happy I hope there is someone that knows more about then me!

Thank you! I just really don't want to do anything wrong! Worry

I'll probably go ahead and at least start with Carefresh, unless someone answers and says that the coco fibre is a great idea and absolutely to use it. Thinking about it, though...even if it would be okay, maybe it would be better to start with something more like what the mouse is used to? I'm just thinking it might be too stressful for the little guy to get plopped into a strange new place with a strange new substance all over the floor...
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 1:01 pm

I would imagine it wouldn't help very much with odor control.

Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirkyvictorian on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

@Artistwolf wrote:I would imagine it wouldn't help very much with odor control.

Yeah, I don't really know how it does with that. None of the pets I've put on it have any kind of odour.
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 2:32 pm

I use cocofiber mixed in sand for my hermit crabs but haven't ever used it for the mice. I imagine it would be very similar to using soil.

Soil has been reported as the best bedding for eliminating odor. If soil is used, some standard precautions need to be taken. Because animals freely walk (and fly) among our yards and may track disease, bacteria, etc., soil from your yard is of a higher risk than sterile soil bought from the store. If you choose to use soil, it is advised that you buy sterile, organic potting soil with no chemicals (fertilizers, etc.) added. It is also very important to make sure soil is frozen or baked before use to help prevent parasites and fungus.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t36-cleaning-odor-and-bedding

I do know it is safe. I just don't have any personal experience with it for mice. Maybe start with a small area of it?  Like a dig box?  From what I've read, many mice enjoy soil in that way.  There have been at least a couple through here that have tried soil bedding. Not sure if they're still active but I'll see if I can turn up any older posts. Smile

Edit: I'm not turning up any of the threads I was thinking of. Must have been on the old forum. I think @moomouse used to use soil for bedding before but I don't think they're active anymore. Undecided

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirkyvictorian on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 2:43 pm

@CallaLily wrote:I use cocofiber mixed in sand for my hermit crabs but haven't ever used it for the mice. I imagine it would be very similar to using soil.

Soil has been reported as the best bedding for eliminating odor. If soil is used, some standard precautions need to be taken. Because animals freely walk (and fly) among our yards and may track disease, bacteria, etc., soil from your yard is of a higher risk than sterile soil bought from the store. If you choose to use soil, it is advised that you buy sterile, organic potting soil with no chemicals (fertilizers, etc.) added. It is also very important to make sure soil is frozen or baked before use to help prevent parasites and fungus.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t36-cleaning-odor-and-bedding

I do know it is safe. I just don't have any personal experience with it for mice. Maybe start with a small area of it?  Like a dig box?  From what I've read, many mice enjoy soil in that way.  There have been at least a couple through here that have tried soil bedding. Not sure if they're still active but I'll see if I can turn up any older posts. Smile

Thank you for looking up that information! That's a good idea to start with a little bit and see if he likes it. It would be so cool if it worked well and eliminated odour like soil would! Something I hadn't thought of was comparing the prices to see which would be more economical in the long run: the cocofibre or the normal bedding. I guess that would be important as well.
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 2:58 pm

I've been poking around on a breeder forum but so far all I see are people wanting to try soil/natural setups but they never seem to check back in with an update. If you do decide to try it, please let us know how it goes! I'm very interested to know if it really is good for odor control, if it's more/less of a hassle on cleaning days, and how it compare in costs to paper bedding.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirkyvictorian on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 3:02 pm

@CallaLily wrote:I've been poking around on a breeder forum but so far all I see are people wanting to try soil/natural setups but they never seem to check back in with an update. If you do decide to try it, please let us know how it goes!  I'm very interested to know if it really is good for odor control, if it's more/less of a hassle on cleaning days, and how it compare in costs to paper bedding.  

Thanks for looking into it! That's what I found when I did some quick little Google searching, unfortunately. I'll definitely post updates if I decide to try it! Thanks for all the help!
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 8:15 am

I tried out the block one once. The one where you soak it and then dry it out. The one issue I had with both that and soil were how dusty they got once they were completely dry. I found that it made all of my mice sneeze so I ended up removing it because I didn't want any of them to get respiratory issues. Now you might not run into that issue but I did want to bring it up. I would say maybe do what one of the other posters said and try a dig area first rather than the whole cage. Good luck with your new mouse and I am so excited that you are poking around and doing so much research before getting your little guy!
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirkyvictorian on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 8:44 am

@CanadianExport wrote:I tried out the block one once. The one where you soak it and then dry it out. The one issue I had with both that and soil were how dusty they got once they were completely dry. I found that it made all of my mice sneeze so I ended up removing it because I didn't want any of them to get respiratory issues. Now you might not run into that issue but I did want to bring it up. I would say maybe do what one of the other posters said and try a dig area first rather than the whole cage. Good luck with your new mouse and I am so excited that you are poking around and doing so much research before getting your little guy!

I had wondered about dust. I don't use the block kind anymore; Bea gets so much substrate that the bottom layers would always fail to dry out, and then I'd have issues with mould. So, I've switched to using the bagged kind and just wetting it down to whatever moisture level is required. I would imagine a mouse wouldn't like to have it wet down very much at all, and so it would probably be quite dry and dusty. So, I'll probably wait until after my mouse has adjusted to my home and everything, and perhaps then I'll give him a little dig box and see whether he likes it, and make sure it doesn't make him sneeze. Thank you so much for your help!
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down