Will my mice be okay?

Go down

Will my mice be okay?

Post by HWN2013 on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

Hello. Last night, my baby, Jasper passed away in my hand, She was a fat grey mouse, She was about 1 year and 4 months old, so she died fairly young which is also weird to me, considering she was fine literally 3 days ago. And I watch them like a hawk.

I also have 3 other mice, 2 of which was in a tank with Jasper, their names are Cinder and Tamale (All female). They were all in the same cage when my mother bought them to surprise me, as I wanted rodents for many years. The other 2 mice should be around the same age as Jasper. And they don't have weight problems like Jasper somehow did.

I got a 4th mouse, male, I named him Ringo (after the Beatle) but he's in a separate cage so I'm sure that has no effect.

Now, Jasper and Tamale were extremely close, like they were never away from each other. Cinder always kinda kept to herself, so it's no surprise to me that she's acting like not much happened.

I'm just worried about Tamale, I have a bond with this mouse unlike the others. I wouldn't want Tamale to get depressed over Jasper's sudden death. I've already noticed some change this morning, She was kinda a bit sluggish, which isn't her at all, but she was pigging out on food which is very normal, Cinder was just on the wheel being completely normal. So my question is...

Will Tamale be okay? (And it's pronounced Ta-male, not Ta-maili).

HWN2013

Sagittarius Artistic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4bMtpmXSzAfMwsCXgCpkAA

Back to top Go down

Re: Will my mice be okay?

Post by Peachy on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 10:35 am

Welcome to the forum! Mouse Wave

I'm sorry for your (and your girls') loss. Tamale will be okay. Mice do occasionally mourne and miss their friends, but when there's another mouse to keep them company they tend to bounce back relatively fast. Even the ones that like to keep to themselves provide enough friendliness that no one will be lonely. That's a benefit of keeping 3 or more females. If you're interested in keeping more mice, definitely look into quarantine and introductions for these two. Smile

An average lifespan is 1-2 years. Some will die younger, some will die older. 16 months was about "my" average lifespan when I was getting mice from a particular store, and many of those deaths were also sudden and explained. After switching stores it's gotten a little better. It's just a part of keeping mice, unfortunately. With mice originating from "pet store" stock, it's often genetic since they're not bred with any thoughts toward health or longevity.

~Alex, Verity, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 11:29 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HWN2013 on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 9:19 am

Thank you both, and I really appreciate the kind words, Glad to hear she'll be alright, she's really been comforting her self in to Cinder now, and yes, Cinder has gracefully allowed this to happen. It's been weird seeing 2 smaller mice without the big fat one to even the pact out. Jasper was the leader, but thank you again. Smile
P.S: I'll get 3 more mice once Cinder and Tamale pass, I don't want any fighting going on. I mean, Cinder already has a chipped ear thanks to Jasper lol. I won't wait for Ringo as he enjoys being alone in his own cage, he'll never know if I get 3 more girls. Smile

Last edited by HWN2013 on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More Information.)

Proud Owner of 15 pets:
Mice: Oreo, Ruffles, Nuggets (Oreo's Kids ==>) Mini Oreo, Bullet, Slate, Lennon, Ryder, Starkey, Vox.
Cats: Pixie, Gypsy.
Fish: Timmy, Miller, Gojira

HWN2013

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 11:31 pm

Can you share some photos of your mice? We love seeing photos here Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HWN2013 on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:35 am

Jasper is Gray, Cinder is Black, Tamale is Brown and White, Ringo is white.

I don't know any other format to put this in, but thanks for interest. Love showing off my babies.
(Also cinder's picture is sideways for some reason, don't know why).

Proud Owner of 15 pets:
Mice: Oreo, Ruffles, Nuggets (Oreo's Kids ==>) Mini Oreo, Bullet, Slate, Lennon, Ryder, Starkey, Vox.
Cats: Pixie, Gypsy.
Fish: Timmy, Miller, Gojira

HWN2013

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:49 pm

Awww, very cute babies! Thank you for sharing the photos Very Happy  Glad to have you here on the forum, Welcome!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum