Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Cage Calculator
Find out how many mice will fit in your cage or tank.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Herbs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Herbs?

Post by CucumberMouse on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Does anyone know of safe herbs you can feed to your mice? Like any that weren't mentioned on the safe/unsafe food list.

I think I might've phrased that wrong... Undecided . I was looking on a chinchilla sight and I found some herb chinchilla treats that I couldn't find listed on the unsafe/safe foods list, and not much showed up when i tried google-ing it.

http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillatreats.html

if you copy and paste that ^ I think it'll bring you to the website I was looking at. I was just wondering of any of the treat/herbs on that list were unsafe, or if I should avoid any of them?
CucumberMouse

Insomnious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Herbs?

Post by FuzzyMouse on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 pm

This is all I could find ): https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2035-mouse-safe-plants-herbs I hope that someone can find out if the chinchilla herbs are safe though!
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Crappy

View user profile https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:26 pm

most herbs are safe for mice.  i'd venture to say if it's safe for chinchillas it's safe for mice.  i give my mice herb mixes that i get for my chins.  

they may not be interested in them though!  they don't need herbs in their diet but you can try if you want.  i'd stick to the more basic stuff like chamomile, rose hips, mint, parsley, gogi, dandelion, hibiscus, raspberry leaf, calendula.

FYI, they really like a bit of timothy hay tossed in the tank too.

i usually get these:

https://www.amazon.com/Higgins-Sunburst-Flower-Gourmet-Animals/dp/B00DOZ0B5C/ref=pd_bxgy_199_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00DOZ0B5C&pd_rd_r=22KEHYWRZ5HPCG795XMJ&pd_rd_w=kmINx&pd_rd_wg=7ayvC&psc=1&refRID=22KEHYWRZ5HPCG795XMJ

https://www.amazon.com/Higgins-Group-Sunburst-Garden-1Count/dp/B00VF27HBM/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1515266646&sr=8-42&keywords=small+animal+herb+treat

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:01 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:most herbs are safe for mice.  i'd venture to say if it's safe for chinchillas it's safe for mice.  i give my mice herb mixes that i get for my chins.  

I had answered about the chinchilla treat page in the other thread about it but I wasn't sure about herbs like hawthorne, lavender, poplar, marshmallow, linden, and thistle. Do you know about their safety with mice @scaredymouse?  Just from a small amount of poking around I'm thinking thistle is ok but I haven't taken the time to really look into any of them thoroughly. Thanks.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Dreaming

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:20 am

I would feel safe giving them to my mice. I can't find any more definitive info unfortunately. I know poplar and marshmallow are safe. Thistle is a very safe herb in general. Like i said, mice don't need these things in their diet... But i believe anything save for other critters like chins, guinea pigs, is also safe for mice.

Bottom line, there just isn't enough info put there to say with certainty that they're safe. If i get a chance, I'll ask the experts about it.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 am

So everything is safe. But peppermint and rose are considered rodent repellant. That said, you would need a lot of it to repel them. Also, any herbs should just be a small supplement as they don't have any nutritional value for them.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:04 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:So everything is safe.  But peppermint and rose are considered rodent repellant.  That said, you would need a lot of it to repel them.  Also, any herbs should just be a small supplement as they don't have any nutritional value for them.

Thanks for digging into it. It's funny, my mice love both peppermint leaves/branches and rose petals. Guess they didn't get the memo. Laughing Truly though I think, at least with peppermint, there's been some confusion between fresh/dried peppermint and the essential oil. One is waaay more potent than the other.

I agree, herbs are more of a treat/supplement to their diet.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Dreaming

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

i think you are absolutely right about plant vs oil. Heck, peppermint oil repels me too! But i don't mind a little peppermint tea Wink

and at the end of the day, even if it's technically a repellent, it's still safe for consumption in this case.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top