Housing Pictures

Page 27 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Go down

Re: Housing Pictures

Post by Peachy on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Very neat! I've considered doing something similar for my half-wild mouse. Smile

~Lulie, Pearl, Dulcie, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Alex, Vera, Verity & Atticus~
~Mika and Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahjling on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm

@Rodents rock!:

They had a wheel where I got them, but they never used it there either, which is why I switched them to a saucer, I thought maybe changing it up would encourage some running, but I think they're just not a very wheel oriented group.

@Chiroptera
I love your username.

And I'd be glad to share!
It's honestly the best rodent setup I've ever used, and I've tried everything from carefresh to pellets to aspen. I don't yet have springtails or isopods for their setup, but I'll be getting some eventually in an attempt to turn it truly bioactive. Because of that this 'review' is coming from that standpoint.

Behavior wise, they love it, they love digging tunnels and shuffling moss around, they've recently moved entirely out of the hides for their main sleeping habits and into a burrow they've made themselves, I want to lift the cardboard and peek into their burrow but I don't want to disturb it, it's so hard to resist! They still use the hides for naps and hanging out (or hoarding food...) but they really seem to prefer the coconut fiber for sleeping in, last night they were working on their nest, I think, they kept coming out to take bits of moss and hay and dragging them into the tunnels so I can only assume that's what's going on...

No allergies or hotspots so far, which is an issue I had with both aspen and carefresh (not with this batch I should note, I've been keeping mice for years and this group went straight to coconut fiber because I just didn't want to test my luck!) no dust to worry about.

But honestly the biggest reason I can suggest coconut fiber to anyone thinking about it is Odor Control.

They've been in this tank since the beginning of February, and even if I stick my whole face in the tank, it smells like nothing but earthy coconut husk and moss, like a forest! Which is impressive to me because I have a medical condition that makes my sense of smell....Very Very sensitive.

It lasts longer than carefresh or aspen, so you won't be spending as much in the long run. I have six bricks in my terrarium right now, and for anything less than a 75 you'll need way way less, one or two bricks is enough for a 20 long (I have a ball python who uses the same substrate in a 36 x 18 x 12 and his only uses one brick). I can suggest ordering it online at petsmart for the 5% discount if you're really looking to save, or cut the middleman and buy nine bricks on Amazon Here for like, $27.50

Cleaning wise, I'm going to experiment a little with removing it all and completely replacing it, and just removing about a brick's worth off the top and replacing the top layer with a new brick to see what keeps the tank smelling nicest and the mice the happiest & healthiest.

As a warning, any live plants you put in will inevitably be torn to shreds asap, so it's probably not viable to keep the tank constantly planted, but they'll definitely appreciate the occasional live plant as enrichment, I think wheatgrass/petgrass is probably the cheapest option. I'm still hunting around though...

All in all I'd give the coconut fiber substrate a 10/10 in every regard.
It's easy to clean up if you spill, too, if that's a worry. Hand broom + dustpan on hard floor, vacuum on carpet. Done.

Mahjling
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Dreaming

View user profile https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 am

@Mahjling Thank you! ;w; bats are the love of my life tbh

You've convinced me to give it a shot!! I'm going to try and transition Pumpkin to it once we move, and see how it works for him! it seems like it could be really neat

Love mouse mom to Checkers, Clue, Mahjong, Dragon, and Pumpkin Love
Angel remembering Trouble + Yahtzee Angel
~Mouse Dossier~

Cool ~gamer girl gallery~ Cool
Yellow heart ~pumpkin patch~ Yellow heart
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

View user profile https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 am

Since I have found myself with an empty 40 gallon again - for the time being, my older group of girls gets to enjoy it (Blossom, Autumn, and Amber, Amber isn't old but Blossom is pretty old, so I call them my "older group" Laughing Just to be clear). They are having a blast!

Here's an overview:

Their favorite part is the digging/foraging pit I made. It's just a tupperware container filled with an inch of the Kaytee soft granule bedding, and I mixed in the foraging mix from Rosewood that they love so much. So they are really enjoying digging through that to forage for goodies.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am

@AnonymousMouseOwner, Shocked ! That is cool! Very decorated. =D Aww, Amber is so gorgeous!! So do your other four girls share a tank? And your three boys are all separated in their own ten- or twenty-gallon tanks?
I have the ten-gallon tank with my three girls--and because my mom agreed to it one day, and since it sits 'vacant' out in our big shed--I plan on moving my girls in there Sunday...and I'm so excited and plan to share pictures of them in the big tank. Very Happy

Last edited by Blessed on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:46 pm

@Blessed wrote:@AnonymousMouseOwner, Shocked ! That is cool! Very decorated. =D Aww, Amber is so gorgeous!! So do your other four girls share a tank? And your three boys are all separated in their own ten- or twenty-gallon tanks?
I have the ten-gallon tank with my three girls--and because my mom agreed to it one day, and since it sits 'vacant' out in our big shed--I plan on moving my girls in there Sunday...and I'm so excited and plan to share pictures of them in the big tank. Very Happy
Then we have an extra 5.5-gallon tank I plan on moving the three goldfish to Wednesday (or my 3 Cory cats and Swordtail instead), so that would make me have four tanks and a cage in my room (three which should be fish tanks). =P I would love a huge aquarium, but at this point of time, I might be grateful for just one male Betta in a 2.5-gallon, perhaps... I'm tired of my fishie problems I got myself into. Laughing
Thank you! Yes, my other four are in their own group. They are usually in a tank with the footprint of a 20 high (Except it's not a 20 high, because it's suuuuper tall, much taller than a 20 H!), but when I moved the trio from their 20 long to the 40 gallon, I moved the group of four into the trio's 20 long. So both groups of girls got a space upgrade! Razz

And yes - my boys all live separately. 2 of them, Jack and Rocky, are in 10 gallons, while Scout is in a 20 high.

Oh that sounds fun! How big is the tank you're going to move the meece to? Just FYI, I don't think those goldfish will be able to stay in a small tank for long, they get massive! We had a goldfish reach about 7 or 8 inches long, before we gave him to our neighbor that had a big pond Smile His name was Goldie - so original Laughing

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:46 pm

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Thank you! Yes, my other four are in their own group. They are usually in a tank with the footprint of a 20 high (Except it's not a 20 high, because it's suuuuper tall, much taller than a 20 H!), but when I moved the trio from their 20 long to the 40 gallon,  I moved the group of four into the trio's 20 long. So both groups of girls got a space upgrade! Razz

And yes - my boys all live separately. 2 of them, Jack and Rocky, are in 10 gallons, while Scout is in a 20 high.

Oh that sounds fun! How big is the tank you're going to move the meece to? Just FYI, I don't think those goldfish will be able to stay in a small tank for long, they get massive! We had a goldfish reach about 7 or 8 inches long, before we gave him to our neighbor that had a big pond Smile His name was Goldie - so original Laughing
Cool! Very Happy

Oh, oops; I totally forgot to add the tank size I was telling you about. Laughing But a twenty-gallon.

Here's a couple of older pictures of my mice tank (since late November last year, I've strictly used Kaytee granule bedding -- no paper towels at all anymore in their 10-gallon):

Last edited by Blessed on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahjling on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:19 am

Not about mice: Goldfish don't actually grow according to the tank size they're in. It's a very common 'fact' to pass around, but Goldfish are actually extremely difficult fish, with very strict care requirements. Fancy golds (the kinds with the split tails) reach about 6-8 inches in adulthood, and require an absolute minimum of 20g to start with, plus at least an additional 10g for every fancy added after.

Other varieties, such as the common {Feeder}, comet, shubunkin and wakin, ryukin, etc will grow to more than double that size, and require, at full adulthood, a 100gallon, or better yet, a pond (with netting to keep predation from being an issue) very few people have an indoor aquarium large enough to properly keep a fully grown goldfish.

The shortened lifespan of a goldfish kept in less than optimal conditions is less than ten years, usually as a result of either:

A. A poorly kept tank resulting in asphyxiation or other bodily breakdowns due to ammonia level--you absolutely need a filter for goldfish, they're the messiest fish.

B. Being kept in a small tank, wherein their bodies may stop growing to avoid pushing them out of their space, but their organs do not, thereby resulting in a rather unfortunate death via organ failure as the innards outgrow the outers. This is called 'Stunting', and is very common in captive goldfish, unfortunately.

C. Illness, which may be a result of improper husbandry, or just an unfortunate coincidence. Illness can happen to anyone.

A properly kept goldfish of most common varieties can and should live for over ten years, and often up to age 25 or older.

I do not say this in an effort to ruffle feathers, or kick up a fuss, but in an attempt to help end the myth that goldfish can be kept in improperly sized environments without repercussions. I apologize for the off-topic Undecided

Mahjling
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Dreaming

View user profile https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 pm

I finally got the three girls in the 20-gal. earlier...so excited! They're loving the space and are so happy!

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 am

Looks great Blessed, glad to hear the girls are enjoying their extra space! Love the background! Cute!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TiramisuTheMouse on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 pm

This is Muffin's nursery cage. She is currently living alone to see if she will give birth to any babies.

This is the cage where my two girls, Toast and Bagel, live.

TiramisuTheMouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Not a cage, but here's the playpen.

EDIT; Not sure why the picture showed up like that when uploaded. Oh well.
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Tiramisu, great nursery bin! Love your other set up too! Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 pm

River, your playpen looks like loads of fun!! Great job Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Benji & Dedenne's Stacked Cages ♂

Post by pokemonsz on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 am

I finally finished the boys' cages! They are both 16 gallon bins and stack nicely on top of eachother.

Benji is on top, and Dedenne is on the bottom.

Dedenne has had a huge boost in his mood now that he has his own soft bedding (he's allergic to aspen) and wheel and PLENTY of soft hidey holes.

Benji's cage is filled with lots of things to destroy and his favorite saucer (unlike Dedenne, he thinks hammocks are for chewing!).

I also made a very easy door for Dedenne's since the wire has to be on the front. It swings up and even rests in the up position for easy access! It was super simple to make with cheap fasteners, duck tape and rubber band.

I'm actually very happy I ended up with two boys even if they have to be separate - they are both such unique characters.  Love

Jr Member

View user profile https://supermegashowoff.com

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum