Merle Mice

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Merle Mice

Post by Blessed on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 10:32 am

Hi, everyone.
Merle is my favorite color on mice (and dogs, haha), and I wanted to share a nice, bigger picture of my avatar mouse...as well as a few questions.
Here is Danny, when he was young and I'd recently gotten him:

And a question is, how would you breed for a pretty color like that? I don't think I've seen a mouse quite like him before.
My mom won't let me breed, nor do I have a male anymore, but if I were to breed my gray-and-white female (I'll post a picture of her, too) with a black-and-white male, might that 'make' Merle babies? I feel like solid black or chocolate or solid gray tends to end up with the babies being a solid color, that's why I'm saying that.
Lydia:

More pictures of Danny.

And another question: Why do you think his ears were so small? A picture of him, then a field mouse (Naomi), and then Daniela and Rachel, two normal domesticated mice:

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Merle Mice

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:44 pm

I don't really know anything about breeding mice and how they breed for certain colors, but I just wanted to say how beautiful your mice are Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm

Thank you so much, Rodents rock! =) Love

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 5:42 pm

I love talking about genes, even if I've never bred. I used to play an online game about breeding rats and it was so fun. I'm not super experienced with genes, but here's what I think...

Merle is it's own gene, and it is recessive. So both parents would have to carry the merle gene in order for it to pass down to the babies. It must be homozygous, in order for it to show in the babies, which means the babies would have to have 2 copies of the gene, one from each parent. Your girl does not show merle, if I'm looking at the right one. I believe it is possible that the merle gene could be hidden in her, though it is unlikely if you don't know that she has a history of merle in her lines, and only a pedigree could tell you that for sure. So, it is unlikely that breeding as you mentioned would get you a merle. You would need both parents to carry the merle gene in order for the babies to have it too.

Edit: There's more about merle and roan genes here if you're interested: http://www.fancymice.info/merle-and-roan.html

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 6:20 pm

Thanks for the advice, AnonymousMouseOwner. Smile So most likely Lydia, no matter what color male (excluding Merle) she could breed with, wouldn't have Merle babies?, am I reading that right?
Too bad. Merle is so gorgeous, but seems so rare on mice.
Danny, as you could see, didn't have white, but he had what resembled possibly a light ticking in his gray? But what I was curious about is that he had broken black patches only on his rear-end area, as shown in the pictures. I'd imagine one of his parents was a Merle, though. I really wanted to breed him, but I never got to, and now I don't have that option. =(

But.. normal Merle mice (black, white, and gray) are super pretty, too.

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 6:27 pm

Beautiful mice! Merles are fascinating. A local rescue found hundreds of animals in one house, and there were a handful of merle mice! Fortunately I got to adopt one before they were all gone. Your best bet for more merle mice would be to breed a merle to a self black, and then put one of the babies back with the merle parent. (Daughter x Father, Son x Mother) Roan/Merle is a gene and can't be created. The pattern will vary depending on mice. Often with piebald/broken patterns, babies will have very similar markings to their parents, and it's the same with merles.

My newest boy from Petco is starting to grow big and looking a bit roan-ish. He was a peculiar sight from the start, I'm so excited to see how he turns out. Very Happy

Brindles can be very interesting, too. This mouse changed a lot over his life with me.  Smile

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

Peachy, it's hard to get over how beautiful your little guy is! Heart Eyes
And your brindle mouse is really cool looking, too. Very Happy
And that's cool Merle mice were found! You are very fortunate to have been able to adopt one. Was that recent, and you still have your little Merle guy? Or is that the roan-ish mouse in the pictures? Roan is super pretty, too, as it reminds me of Merle.

And you know, Petco tends to sale mice for pets or feeders, but they definitely have some gorgeous mice there at times. Rachel, the white-and-golden mouse in the last picture was from Petco. And although it's hard to tell from that picture, she had long, wavy, shiny fur.

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 6:55 pm

Unfortunately my merle guy passed a couple months after I brought him home. He had lived at the shelter for most of his life, so I'm sure he appreciated all the attention he got in the end.  Smile The new Petco kid has changed so much since I took pictures of him, I'll have to get new ones soon.

Rachel is very pretty. Satin has been a hard one to find around here, though. My only satin was a brindle boy I named Castor, several years ago. I've been finding interesting stuff at Petco lately, so maybe someday. I figured out when new mice come in so I get to be there to pick first. Laughing

~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

Aw. :/

Yes, please do that. Very Happy

And thank you. My older sister thought she was pretty, too. I just found her long fur pretty, but it did make her more 'complicated' to care for, as their droppings would get stuck in it.

And that's funny that you know when new mice come in, lol. What days? Or, do new ones come in once every week or something?

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 11:15 pm

Well, little Milo looks more like my Sulley Bear than I thought!  He really changed so much lately.

This was when I brought him home abput a week ago. Shocked

~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 11:32 pm

Milo is adorable, love those ears!! Love
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 12:38 am

He's so pretty. And super cute in that last picture. Kiss (this 'kiss' is directed towards him, haha). =)

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzle on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 6:35 am

Was Danny a pet store find? If so, I would peg it on being over groomed at some time in his life. However, depending on your location, if you got him from a breeder, you might want to read up on short ear/American fold mice. There is a breeder who focuses on them almost exclusively in merle, and she has been very generous with distribution.

Frizzle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 10:53 am

Hey there!
Wow, it feels like a long time since I made this thread, even though it was only a little over a month ago, haha.
Yes, Danny was from a pet store. PetSmart, in fact, and I believe my PetSmart specializes in fancy mice. They only sale males, though, and just from looking at them, I'm guessing they breed for health, color, size, and possibly temperament. But I really don't know for sure. Confused
And thanks for that information! I appreciate it.
I've never heard of that before.
You may be new on the forum, but anyone could tell (even if they haven't seen your introduction) that you're certainly not new to mice! Smile How long have you been a breeder, anyways?

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

Oh, yeah, for information on his ears... Well, the other male mice I see at that PetSmart don't seem to have the small ears, only he did. He also had a small tear in his ear that did come to 'heal' and then his ears both looked normal when I got him. But if it's a cause of over-grooming, that's really weird! I didn't know that could effect the growth of their ears. Razz

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next