Cat issues

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cat issues

Post by Artistwolf on Mon May 30, 2016 8:57 pm

I've kind of been brooding about cats all day. It's probably not good for me as it makes me feel mildly depressed and a bit stressed out, but I can't help it... I'm a girl, I have strange moods sometimes in which I feel the need to depress myself further Laughing
Anyway, as you know, my mom said a while ago that I can have a cat after we move. Which is still a full year away because of stupid school Rolling Eyes That's one depressing factor. The second is that I've been through so many pet disasters that I couldn't stand another. I know that I love cats and I'd take good care of my own. But, I just have to be allergic. And I feel like that's another disaster waiting to happen and I can't stand it.
Is there such thing as a hypoallergenic cat? Yes... The Siberian. I love Siberian cats. But they're longhaired and I don't believe my mom wants that (although I could probably get around that), but more importantly we only want an adult cat. So even though there are Siberian breeders near me, I can't just get a kitten from them. Besides, $$$$$. So, I have to look for an adult. Both breeders in driving distance of me don't have adults available. There are breeders that do have cats. But then I'd have to pay a $350 shipping fee for a person to fly the kitty over here. That's on top of an about $700 adoption fee in the first place. And this is no scam, trust me—it's just the price of a Siberian. 
So I told my parents I need to earn $1000. They were like, "but you're not really allergic to all cats" and I was like, "um, I kind of am. A bit less for some but still." Anyway I'm just feeling a bit down. Next year will never come. I'll get a cat I'm allergic to and I'll have to suffer through another loss. I know I'm being unreasonable. But I don't think my parents want to get a Siberian. I don't know. Just... Ugh Bad Day Crying or Very sad

Anna: He hasn't warmed up, then?
Mary: According to Mr. Napier, he finds me aloof. I'm not aloof, am I?
Anna: (chuckles) Do you want me to answer truthfully, or like a lady's maid?
Mary: Let's move on.
~Downton Abbey, season 4
Artistwolf

Aries Artistic

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cat issues

Post by CallaLily on Mon May 30, 2016 9:23 pm

The good news is you have a full year to save up the money you need. Very Happy

Maybe talking with your doctor about a plan for dealing with your allergies would be a good idea?

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Mon May 30, 2016 9:35 pm

True Smile
Hey, that's actually a very good idea.

~Downton Abbey, season 4
Artistwolf

Aries Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat on Mon May 30, 2016 9:42 pm

I actually have a Siberian! They are so loving, sweet, and smart that they are totally worth all the money. They also have really, really, really soft fur. Very Happy
No one who is allergic to cats is allergic to mine. My cat cost more then that, since he's a purebred, show-quality, colorpoint.

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat

Daring

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Mon May 30, 2016 9:58 pm

It's funny that you can get a cat but not a mouse. lol Hopefully a cat will work out for you, especially if you get all the money you need for one that you're not allergic to! Cat25 Hehe, I love that smiley.
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue May 31, 2016 8:46 am

Out of interest, what is the reason your Mom won't let you have a mouse? Smile

I know how it feels to be broody for pets. I am dying to get a puppy Crying or Very sad Due to various life circumstances, I've found myself living back with my parents for a year. Which means I have to respect my parent's wishes. Which means no puppy. And no mouse cage upgrade cuz my Mum doesn't want a giant cage in the living room. Booo Thumbs Down

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Tue May 31, 2016 9:02 am

Oooh, that's awesome, Bandit Cat!! It's great to hear someone else's testimony Very Happy My cat will also cost less because he/she will be an adult, not a kitten. Kittens are more like $1000 to $1500, while adults are more around $500 (if you're lucky) to $750 (more typically). 
Lol I know right?! Maybe my mom has a secret phobia of mice or something Laughing Although I might have been able to get one but I backed off quickly after I noticed the "it's just a mouse" signs—they wouldn't allow me to take a mouse to the vet. They're already a little more callous about that sort of thing than most (or all, lol) Americans—they're like, if your cat or dog needs surgery or he'll die, it's better to put it down because it doesn't understand why it's getting this done to him and they have to spend quite a while in pain. Now I'm their daughter so of course I agree with them at least a little, but mice do need vet care. Lol
That is a great smiley!
Well thank you, you guys have made me feel a lot better about all this already Smile
MouseLover—you posted at almost the exact time as I was! Well, I kind of already answered the first part above, but another reason (which isn't a very good one, IMO) was that my room is in the basement and the basement "doesn't have good airflow" apparently. I honestly think my mom just doesn't like mice. If it was just my dad? I would for sure have a mouse right now! Man, I'd have a few animals by now if it wasn't for my mom Laughing
Aww, that's horrible! I think we can understand each other here XD Sigh

I've also made a ton of mistakes with animals, which could definitely be part of it. I really should share that story with you sometime. I keep referencing it and I'm too embarrassed to tell all because you might all hate me. Super condensed version: Thr first dog was too old and not even potty trained, the kitten was great but my sister was allergic (she's not allergic to cats anymore though Rolling Eyes), the hamster was very bitey and I was 7 so I didn't understand all I was doing wrong (which was quite a lot, although the hamster expert that took him from us was also afraid of him for a while), the first puppy was a Yorkie-poo and way too high maintenance for our family, the second puppy was really good and an adorable little dachshund but basically we learned that we're not dog people and we can't make ourselves be. I know, hate me now, I'm a terrible person Worry Maybe you can understand me a little bit better now. I wish my parents had done more research, too. Sure, it was me asking each time, but I only really researched the dachshund because I was 13 and old enough to do that by then. And we did everything right and had a fairly good experience with it except that we're just not dog people (and that's hard to explain to anyone who loves dogs).

~Downton Abbey, season 4
Artistwolf

Aries Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue May 31, 2016 1:34 pm

Artistwolf - it sounds like you were just a kid for most of these events, don't be so hard on yourself! Everyone who's ever owned a pet has made at least one mistake. Guaranteed. (You should have seen my first mouse cage, before I knew better!! Embarassed).

What's important is that we learn from our mistakes, keep doing our research, and keep on learning, to be the best pet-parents we can be Very Happy

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Tue May 31, 2016 3:14 pm

Thank you Smile That is very true.

~Downton Abbey, season 4
Artistwolf

Aries Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue May 31, 2016 3:27 pm

I think learning that you can't force yourself to be a pet person was a great lesson to learn! I imagine a lot of people have had to learn the hard way, so I hope no one would hate you for that. Rehoming unwanted pets is certainly better than neglecting them. Smile

Dogs drive me bonkers so I don't plan on getting more, but my Lily-dog doesn't like to use the bathroom in the backyard after dark, so I have to stand out there and shoo her off the patio over and over until she goes... otherwise she'll hold it and go in the kitchen when she gets back inside. Or she'll escape and run. She's deaf, so we can't call her back, but thankfully when she runs, she runs the route we walk. Laughing
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue May 31, 2016 5:32 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself Artistwolf! We've all learned lessons the hard way. I used to be a completely garbage parrot owner until I actually sat down and did some real, hard research, but nothing beats learning from experience. If you're not a dog person, so be it. But if you are a cat person, then if you can find a way to control your allergies or get a siberian cat, then problem solved right?

I do want to mention, though. Something you should consider is college. Will your parents be willing to take care of a cat when you go off to college? Would you be willing to leave the cat behind? Will your parents take as good of care as it as you want them to? Those questions were huge anxieties for me when I had a parrot with a thirty year lifespan, and it's part of the reason I got mice- their lifespans fit very neatly into the time I have left before college.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Tue May 31, 2016 7:41 pm

You're right, Abeona. Thanks. Haha yeah, I just can't get used to that constantly-yelling-at-your-pet thing that comes with being a dog owner. Dogs are just forever barking or something that you need to discipline them for Laughing
Thanks Cinna Very Happy Yup, I think that is pretty much true! College, I don't need to worry about because there is absolutely no chance I'm leaving my home or even my state and going off to college in who-knows-where. That's a very American thing and I'm not American—The South African way is to stay with your parents until you're married or like 30, and don't leave to go live in res in a college! There's also some religious reasons for that decision so. College is a non-issue for me with pets Wink

~Downton Abbey, season 4
Artistwolf

Aries Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:54 pm

Ooh, so we went to Petsmart and had a look at the cats (because my dad needed something from the computer shop across the road and I asked), and we saw the perfect orange boy. My mom decided we should get an orange cat—both her and I have red hair, so he would match—and it's always been my personal preference to have a boy (more affectionate). My mom likes big cats—all muscle, not fat. I do too. So anyway I pet this perfect cat (okay, he didn't have a tail, and my family doesn't like that idea lol), and I made a point of touching my face afterwards because usually with cats if I touch them and then my face, I'll get slight itchy bumps on my face. Nothing with this guy! In fact, it was an adoption day at Petsmart and there were cats everywhere, and, wait for it, I had zero reaction. I don't know what happened, but it would appear I'm not nearly as allergic to cats as I thought! I quite often don't react very much to my friend's cat, but then I took an allergy pill when I've gone there recently. So maybe...? Can I hope? Because my mom doesn't like very fluffy cats. So probably not a siberian XD

My iPod was doing weird things so if there are typos, my apologies. It kept autocorrecting stuff that didn't need it, like cats to cataclysm. What??

~Downton Abbey, season 4
Artistwolf

Aries Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:04 pm

Ooh, I love your new avatar.

Ee, a cat without a tail! Missy has a weird, short tail... but Missy's a funny looking thing anyway. lol I'll hope with you that your cat allergies aren't so bad... How much fun you'll have!!! Cat6
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Thank you Very Happy It was actually a charcoal drawing from an old sketchbook that I found.
I'm hoping so much... Lol Missy is cute though (from what I remember of her photos) ^_^ Eee I'm hoping!! I want a kitty so much!!Cat11Cat12

~Downton Abbey, season 4
Artistwolf

Aries Artistic

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top