Mouse action odd out of the ordinary

Go down

Mouse action odd out of the ordinary

Post by Petmouse123456 on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 5:56 pm

I have 2 nice I have had for a little while I'm just noticing that one of them seems to be less active than usual. She keeps sitting hunched over and not running about as usual, she also looks like she is sweating sort of thing i.e she doesn't have a silky coat like my other one. She also seems to be squeezing alot more than usual, when she is in the wheel especially. I'm not an expert on mice but I feel like she is off slightly, any information on what could be up I would really appreciate.

Thanks

Petmouse123456

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mouse action odd out of the ordinary

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 6:10 pm

@Petmouse123456 wrote:I have 2 nice I have had for a little while I'm just noticing that one of them seems to be less active than usual. She keeps sitting hunched over and not running about as usual, she also looks like she is sweating sort of thing i.e she doesn't have a silky coat like my other one. She also seems to be squeezing alot more than usual, when she is in the wheel especially. I'm not an expert on mice but I feel like she is off slightly, any information on what could be up I would really appreciate.

Thanks

How is her breathing? She may have an upper respiratory infection. I would recommend taking her to a vet that has experience with mice. Please keep us posted.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Petmouse123456 on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm

Her breathing seems fine, she's still eating and drinking fine it's only when she's on the wheel she really squeaks and hunched over when she eats or is sat still.

Petmouse123456

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 7:14 pm

I would second a vet visit. Does she eat and drink okay? How old is she? Whether it's a respiratory infection or something else, squeaking on the wheel is relatively abnormal and a hunched position and greasy fur are both symptoms of not feeling well. Hope she's better soon. Good vibes

~Alex, Verity, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 5:55 am

My mouse Kimchi would usually squeak/sneeze but I hear it less often. She does not exercise as much and is afraid of people. When I clean the cage and put her in my hands, she'll hyperventilate or something. I don't try to touch her, but she's normal when I'm not nearby.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 10:07 am

I hope I don't sound too "alarmist" here -- just looking out for your little mousie.

If the little one does not show signs of respiratory problems, the symptoms you describe could indicate an injury.  Scruffy fur can result from inability to perform the usual bathing duties, so watch her when she's washing to see if she goes through her whole normal routine.  The fact that she's still getting on the wheel seems to be a good sign, because at a certain pain level she probably would not mess with it.

You might be able to detect a skeletal structure injury (sprain, break) or muscular injury (pull, strain) if you put her out for a little open tabletop time, to watch how she moves without the usual obstructions in a mouse house.  Put the other mouse out with her for comparison.

Look at the paws, toes, and claws, for any irregularities of appearance or any signs of bleeding/infection.

Also check her belly and soft sides for evidence of bruising, which would indicate internal injury.  Put her inside a small, clear glass or plastic box and look up from underneath.  It also helps to see through to the skin if you wet her fur.  Since her fur is already scruffy, you can take the opportunity to give her a gentle bath to both clean her up a little (they are so fastidious, you KNOW they don't like to be greasy and unfluffy!) and get that better view of the underlying skin from all directions.

When my little mousie was hurting and unable to clean all over, her vet approved my method of using very dilute Dawn dishwashing liquid (apple scent!) for the wash cycle, and VERY carefully monitoring water temperature.  It is very important to rinse ALL the soap out.  Then I would dry her off with short little "licks" using one of the soft and very absorbent baby washcloths that were actually part of her bedding material rotation, meanwhile breathing on her to keep her warm.  They lose body heat very fast, and you don't want hypothermia to compound whatever is already troubling them. (A hair dryer is much too loud for human ears, so it is astronomically too loud to inflict on mouse ears.)

There could be other things going wrong internally that would not show any further cues than what you already see, so don't wait too long for improvement before you get your little mousie to her doctor.  She can't tell you what's wrong, and her tendency would be to minimize outward appearances of any weakness.

Keep notes of all of your observations so you can report them to the veterinarian.

Best health wishes to little mousie.
MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 4:24 pm

I third the vet visit. Why mess around with home remedies when you can get a professional's opinion. Hunched over, greasy fur, trouble breathing - all signs that your mouse is not feeling well. Definitely a vet appointment is needed.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin, Hershey & the Oliebollen Boys, Emrys & Cream
+3 babies!
Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Shocked

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

?

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 5:28 pm

Wow, I've never known this. Probably because I'm a "beginner," but I saw something odd.
Kimchi(white) looks different than Fig(black).

Is this alright?
@MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop wrote:I hope I don't sound too "alarmist" here -- just looking out for your little mousie.

If the little one does not show signs of respiratory problems, the symptoms you describe could indicate an injury.  Scruffy fur can result from inability to perform the usual bathing duties, so watch her when she's washing to see if she goes through her whole normal routine.  The fact that she's still getting on the wheel seems to be a good sign, because at a certain pain level she probably would not mess with it.

You might be able to detect a skeletal structure injury (sprain, break) or muscular injury (pull, strain) if you put her out for a little open tabletop time, to watch how she moves without the usual obstructions in a mouse house.  Put the other mouse out with her for comparison.

Look at the paws, toes, and claws, for any irregularities of appearance or any signs of bleeding/infection.

Also check her belly and soft sides for evidence of bruising, which would indicate internal injury.  Put her inside a small, clear glass or plastic box and look up from underneath.  It also helps to see through to the skin if you wet her fur.  Since her fur is already scruffy, you can take the opportunity to give her a gentle bath to both clean her up a little (they are so fastidious, you KNOW they don't like to be greasy and unfluffy!) and get that better view of the underlying skin from all directions.

When my little mousie was hurting and unable to clean all over, her vet approved my method of using very dilute Dawn dishwashing liquid (apple scent!) for the wash cycle, and VERY carefully monitoring water temperature.  It is very important to rinse ALL the soap out.  Then I would dry her off with short little "licks" using one of the soft and very absorbent baby washcloths that were actually part of her bedding material rotation, meanwhile breathing on her to keep her warm.  They lose body heat very fast, and you don't want hypothermia to compound whatever is already troubling them.  (A hair dryer is much too loud for human ears, so it is astronomically too loud to inflict on mouse ears.)

There could be other things going wrong internally that would not show any further cues than what you already see, so don't wait too long for improvement before you get your little mousie to her doctor.  She can't tell you what's wrong, and her tendency would be to minimize outward appearances of any weakness.

Keep notes of all of your observations so you can report them to the veterinarian.

Best health wishes to little mousie.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 6:32 pm

Hi Nijimi-san:

I can't see little Fig's underside because of the glare on your picture, but everything appears to be in place, structurally, on Kimchi.  As for discolorations, I can't tell.

Quick mouse belly anatomy lesson:  The pore nearest the tail is the poopie pore.  The next one further up the belly is where urine comes out.  One of the ways to tell that Kimchi is a female is that relatively hairless strip between those pores.  Then, branching off toward her feet, those dark dots are nipples -- another way to tell that she's female.  There are usually five on each side.  That's just for reference -- no need to count them.

Assuming Fig is also female, all those parts should also be present on her, although they may not look exactly the same. The different fur colors (and underlying skin colors) can affect that.

One more thing: you might consider staying up through some of the night hours so you can observe your two little girls during their activities when you would normally be asleep.  Make sure there is not any aggression that you have not been aware of before.

And, of course, if Kimchi is continuing to show signs of distress, call her doctor and get her in as quickly as possible. Continue your monitoring and note-taking while you wait for the appointment, so you can give the vet as much information as possible.

I have no computer access overnight, so if I do not respond to a follow-up inquiry, I apologize in advance.  Others in this forum are certainly qualified to help you! LUCK to you all!

Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you!

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 6:53 pm

Yes, Fig has the little strip and the round body part that shows that she is a female. But her fur is too dark to see her nipples.

They love sleeping together and work to make the best nest possible. Thank you very much Cat3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 6:00 pm

Any improvement for little Kimchi today?

Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 6:30 pm

Kimchi is just asleep as always haha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 6:31 pm

Actually never mind! She's the one on the wheel right now! I'm so surprised.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum