Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Is this mouse pregnant?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is this mouse pregnant?

Post by Stella Dogrock on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:45 pm

So my cousin got 2 mice a little over a week ago and we have noticed that one looks pregnant. We want to be sure as her parents don’t think the mouse, Wanda, is pregnant. We compared pictures of pregnant mice to Wanda’s shape. If she is pregnant how long till the babies come? She is housed with another female mouse but there could have been a male in the cage at the store. Please help! Wanda is the cinnamon one.
Here are the pictures:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TIo40L7lvNc/WhXNbzf8uII/AAAAAAAAELU/fopd6WrlNT8-7VvFbnKEJKk9Ahy1fZ4_gCK8BGAs/s512/2017-11-22.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BXww90eZjWk/WhckSpnLQBI/AAAAAAAAEMM/-1-wB7wTIUUVUSFeiC9EbJEmT8fnGTnVgCK8BGAs/s512/2017-11-23.jpg
Stella Dogrock

Pisces Festive

View user profile https://blogbydoll.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this mouse pregnant?

Post by Frostmoon4 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm the owner of those mice, and I have another photo to add to this:

Frostmoon4

Festive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:37 pm

It looks like it's possible, but it's hard to tell from these pictures. Some mice just have a bit of extra chunk, it can usually be chalked up to genetics. Occasionally a mouse can get a little tummy from eating a lot of her new, yummy food.

Mice are pregnant for an average of 21 days, though pregnancies can range between 19 and 23 days. Towards the end, if she's pregnant, it will become more and more noticeable each day. The only way to know for sure is to count the days from when she was last with a male.

In the meantime, brush up on your pegnancy, nursing, and baby knowledge in this thread:
http://petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

You might begin offering good sources of protein to help her out. High quality dog kibble and scrambled/boiled egg are examples.

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Dogrock on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Thank you. She has gotten bigger. Yesterday we noticed she had a little tummy and today her sides got bigger. My cousin is going on a trip for a week, what should she do with the mice?
Stella Dogrock

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostmoon4 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Thank you so much! We do not know when she was last with the male because we got her from a pet store. There might have been a male with the females, but I don't know. Wanda has gotten more lethargic since we got her. She was never as energetic as the other mice at the pet store either. I wish I could get better photos, but she isn't tamed yet, so I can't hold her. Thank you SO MUCH for replying!!
Frostmoon4

Festive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Count 23 days from when you brought her home. If she's growing noticeably day by day, it's likely that she's close.

Is there someone else to care for them? I'd separate the two girls, momma mice are better off raising their babies in their own way. After birth, Mom and her nest should be undisturbed for three days, but you still need to ensure that Mom is ok and well cared for.

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostmoon4 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm not sure who will take care of the mice while I'm gone, but I will most likely have an answer tomorrow. I always thought that other female mice would help take care of the babies, so thanks for telling me to separate them. Sadly, I don't have another cage and I can't buy one in time, we are super busy packing.
Frostmoon4

Festive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:19 pm

It doesn't take that long to run to the store and buy another cage or tank. I believe when you take on the responsibility of any pet, you need to do right by them. And you are leaving for a week and don't have anyone lined up to care for your mice yet?
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostmoon4 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 pm

I live with my parents btw, and I'm pretty sure they have someone to take care of the mice, but I don't know who and I'm afraid to ask because my parents aren't in the greatest mood. I'm pretty sure my mom's friend is going to take care of them, but I'm not 100% sure.
Frostmoon4

Festive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:41 pm

That is good to hear they have it covered. I hope you all have a nice vacation.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Dogrock on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:23 pm

So no babies yet but she has grown dramatically within the past week. We have also noticed that her nipples have gotten a lot bigger. Is this a sign that she is pregnant?

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm

When mice gain weight, they become more pronounced... so it doesn't necessarily mean pregnant. But if you say she is dramatically bigger... I guess you'll find out in a day or two. You first posted on Nov 23 and said that you had them for about a week. which puts that around Nov 15... and 23 days from that would put their due date by 12/7. So, if there are no babies by the end of the day tomorrow... you should be in the clear.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Dogrock on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Okay thank you!

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:10 pm

**my timeline is based on the fact that you only had them for a week when you first posted here**

good luck!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Good luck! Keep us posted Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down