Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Waltzing Mouse/thefunmouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Waltzing Mouse/thefunmouse

Post by chiroptera on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Okay, so, I'm new to the forum, so first of all, hello everyone!

My life has been a bunch of changes lately, accidentally moved across the country, and then accidentally bought some mice. I know I shouldn't have bought PetSmart girls, but I fell in love. Embarassed

I'm not new to having mice as pets, but it's been a long time since I've had them, and this is my first time as an independent adult owning them, and the first time where I entirely understand the proper way to care for animals. (Though as far as I remember, my older girls were taken care of pretty well, but I'm sure there were mistakes... Especially since my grandmother was taking care of them most of the time.)

Anyway, one of my girls, Trouble, has developed a spin, and from what I can tell she has the "waltzing" mouse syndrome.

When I first brought them home, both girls seemed healthy. After a few weeks, Trouble developed a head tilt. We assumed it was an ear infection and took her to the vet, they gave her some medicine (sadly I forget which medication) and she was less tilty while on the meds. Somewhere during the process, the circling started... She just runs in loops a lot. After the meds, her head tilting mostly stopped, but soon after I stopped medicating her, the circling returned. It's now been a few months and she still twirls, but otherwise she seems healthy. She can eat, drink, and move around their tub just fine, grooms herself/her sister, runs on the wheel occasionally (she really loves the new flying saucer wheel they got!), and overall seems to be a happy little mouse. She's a bit slower than her sister but otherwise I don't think she's having any problems.

That said, I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for her, and I was hoping to find more information on waltzing mice, but the Internet doesn't seem to have a whole lot out there on caring for these special guys. I did find a lot of references for a website called thefunmouse, but it appears to have closed down, which is really, really disappointing. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any other websites with good information on waltzing mice and their care, or if anyone happened to have any back-ups of the funmouse website or any of the info that was posted there. If anyone has any resources, I would really appreciate it! (And, of course, so would my girls.)

Edit: A short video of my twirly girly! https://photos.app.goo.gl/25tKRMTW2LoF7vSH2

Last edited by chiroptera on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
chiroptera
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Batty

View user profile https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Waltzing Mouse/thefunmouse

Post by Peachy on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:52 pm

We're somewhat of a spinoff of The Fun Mouse. Several of us were long term staff/members there and moved all the info over to this forum when we got word that the owner would be closing the site down.

This is the info article we brought over from that website:
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet#41

If the symptoms improved with medication, I would actually take her back to the vet. Sometimes another course of antibiotics is needed. If the vet doesn't feel it's an ear infection, they can help you explore other possibilities, such as the ones mentioned in that thread I linked.

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Just wanted to add, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying mice from PETsMART. The mice can't help that's where they ended up in this world and they deserve good homes as do all pets Very Happy so don't feel bad about that. You did a good thing, you gave two mice a great home Mouse Wave
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi, @Peachy! Thanks for the quick response c:

That link is just what I was looking for, so thank you for that!

I'll definitely look into taking her back to the vet, currently trying to find another exotics vet since the most recent trip for my roommates' rats said they were healthy, and one of their boys had to be put down less than a week after due to pneumonia, so I'm not real fond of the current vet. (Or find a way to afford the emergency vet that I do like...)

But like I said, she is doing alright now other than the twirling, so if it does turn out to be genetic, I'll still take care of her!

@Rodents rock! Haha, thank you! I would prefer not to support the poor breeding, but at the same time, I always feel like pet store critters need someone who knows what they're doing way more than well-bred animals do, so I'm torn. (As in, most people going to a breeder will know what they're doing, not that well-bred pets are less deserving of it.)

Plus, I don't regret getting them, they're such good, sweet girls. Love

Love mouse mom to Trouble, Yahtzee, and Checkers Love
Cool ~girl gallery~ Cool
chiroptera
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:08 pm

I wanted to also mention that sometimes mice can get permanent inner ear damage from having had an ear infection. I know they can get permanent head tilt... but I'm not sure if circling could be the result of that as well or if that is more indicative of a neurological disorder.

Hopefully you find a good vet to help you figure it out!

Oh and welcome to the group! The good people at The Fun Mouse passed the torch to us over here at Pet Mouse Fanciers. We weren't ready to watch the best forum fade away without preserving all the knowledge they accumulated.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:48 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:I wanted to also mention that sometimes mice can get permanent inner ear damage from having had an ear infection.  I know they can get permanent head tilt... but I'm not sure if circling could be the result of that as well or if that is more indicative of a neurological disorder.

Hopefully you find a good vet to help you figure it out!

Oh and welcome to the group!  The good people at The Fun Mouse passed the torch to us over here at Pet Mouse Fanciers.  We weren't ready to watch the best forum fade away without preserving all the knowledge they accumulated.

Yeah, I think that might be the case with Trouble. But I definitely need to take her back to the vet! I just need to figure out the finances, and find a vet I can trust. If nothing else, it wouldn't hurt to get the girls checked up on.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad the torch was passed, it seems like there was a whole lot of experience gathered there, glad to see that The Fun Mouse didn't end up the mouse version of the library of Alexandria...! Great to be here c:

Love mouse mom to Trouble, Yahtzee, and Checkers Love
Cool ~girl gallery~ Cool
chiroptera
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top