Changing cage/set up.

Go down

Changing cage/set up.

Post by moosticks on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am

I'm (fingers crossed) getting some additional mice on Sunday and I am super-duper excited! I'm buying a second enclosure so I can quarantine them (following all the guidelines in the quarantine thread Wink ) before introducing them to my current girls, and it got me wondering; how attached to their enclosures do mice get? Once quarantine is out of the way and all the mice have been introduced safely, could I in theory alternate enclosures if I really wanted to? Or would this stress them out? I also change their tank layout every week at the moment, and I am now wondering if that in itself could also stress them out?! My logic was that it would prevent boredom, but now I'm curious. Confused

Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Festive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing cage/set up.

Post by Peachy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:59 am

Mice do enjoy changes in their weekly setups. Are the enclosures both tanks?

Congrats on your new ladies! I hope everything goes well.

~Lulie, Pearl, Dulcie, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Alex, Vera, Verity & Atticus~
~Mika and Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moosticks on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Thank you! I can't wait to go and get them, I'm just hoping nothing comes up preventing me from collecting them this weekend.

The new enclosure is a cage with plastic base/platform, so fairly different from the tank...

Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Festive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Is the cage big enough for all of them? I don't think it would be bad to occasionally switch it up, it does sound like a fun way to bring in new things to explore, but mice are homebodies and a new cage is new territory. Keep that in mind and maybe try to save the nest or something so they have something familiar.

I bet you'll find they prefer one over the other, it'll be interesting to see which. Smile

~Lulie, Pearl, Dulcie, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Alex, Vera, Verity & Atticus~
~Mika and Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moosticks on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 pm

It's big enough, yes. Smile I will experiment after Christmas in that case! Heehee, so excited. Bouncy

Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Festive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Congratulations on your upcoming new girls!! How exciting!! I try to change up the layout of Mickey's tank each week when cleaning. I think he enjoys the change. He kind of goes around the whole tank checking things out - then he begins work on building his nest Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Most mice enjoy change. But they would also appreciate a little bit of home, like keeping the same nest.

You may find an occasional mouse though that doesn't seem to like change but most mice like to be intellectually stimulated with new toys and new textures.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum