An Introduction to My Madness

Go down

An Introduction to My Madness

Post by jay.mayhem on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 10:13 pm

Hey! I'm Jay (or Lainey irl, but Jay is better), and I fell into the world of mouse parenting completely by coincidence.
August 19th, my neighbor found a mouse while cleaning his car to sell it. She had two suckling babies. Unfortunately, he had to move the mice so that he could get the car in shape. Mama ran off and abandoned the babies. My sister and I accepted the challenge of raising them.
Turns out, they were five-day-old white-footed deer mice, P. leucopus. We expected them to pass away as we had no prior mouse raising knowledge and they were very fragile.
They survived!

Scuttlebug and Shiloh were discovered to be male and female, respectively, so we got them buddies. Darcy (the mouse in my avatar) and Daisy, house/fancy mice, joined the family. Team 1: Darcy and Scuttlebug. Team 2: Daisy and Shiloh.


Daisy and Shiloh the day we introduced them

My handsome Scuttlebug <3

Daisy and Shiloh cuddling

We call ourselves a zoo: cats, dogs, ferrets, chinchillas, mice, and fish. In the past, we've had hedgehogs, snakes, gerbils, hamsters, raccoons, and many temporary reptilian and insect friends.

I personally enjoy all things animal. I'm currently working on a project spreading awareness about feral and homeless felines in the US. I love to train. I'm also huge on all things science and I love to read. I've got a website/blog, too! Check it out at [url=laineyslingo.weebly.com]laineyslingo.weebly.com[/url].

I actually joined here because unfortunately, I lost my sweet Scuttlebug yesterday and I need some advice. I figure once I get past this I can still be active here and learn all the time.

So that's me! I hope to be pretty active and get to know you guys.

_________________
New to the world of mice, but not to the world of rodents. Mice, hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas.
My meeces: Darcy, Daisy, Daphne, Kalypso, Saratoga

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
avatar
jay.mayhem
Full Member
Full Member

Join date : 2017-12-02
Posts : 66
Likes : 14

Scorpio Worried

View user profile https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by jay.mayhem on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 10:16 pm

Wow, I just realized that this got pretty long. Sorry, I blog a lot and I'm used to writing long stories Smile

_________________
New to the world of mice, but not to the world of rodents. Mice, hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas.
My meeces: Darcy, Daisy, Daphne, Kalypso, Saratoga

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
avatar
jay.mayhem
Full Member
Full Member

Join date : 2017-12-02
Posts : 66
Likes : 14

Scorpio Worried

View user profile https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 10:27 pm

Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about Scuttlebug. I would keep Darcy by himself now as male mice shouldn't live together, they are very territorial and can badly injure each other or it can even end in death. Male mice do fine on their own as long as the get attention from their human Very Happy  Scuttlebug and Darcy probably did ok for the time they were together because they were young, but once the hormones kick in, it's not recommended. All your mice are really cute! Sorry again about Scuttlebug.
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 599

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 10:30 pm

@jay.mayhem wrote:Wow, I just realized that this got pretty long. Sorry, I blog a lot and I'm used to writing long stories Smile

Oh, that's fine, no worries Very Happy
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 599

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by jay.mayhem on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm

@Rodents rock! wrote: I would keep Darcy by himself now as male mice shouldn't live together, they are very territorial and can badly injure each other or it can even end in death. Male mice do fine on their own as long as the get attention from their human Very Happy  Scuttlebug and Darcy probably did ok for the time they were together because they were young, but once the hormones kick in, it's not recommended.

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it!
Darcy is female-- Scuttle was the only male out of the whole four. He and Darcy got along quite well, not as well as Daisy and Shiloh, but well enough for a lazy girl and a ball of energy. She's grieving right now, as am I, but I think I'll need to get her a companion later. I'm not sure!

_________________
New to the world of mice, but not to the world of rodents. Mice, hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas.
My meeces: Darcy, Daisy, Daphne, Kalypso, Saratoga

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
avatar
jay.mayhem
Full Member
Full Member

Join date : 2017-12-02
Posts : 66
Likes : 14

Scorpio Worried

View user profile https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by chiroptera on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:36 pm

@jay.mayhem wrote:
Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it!
Darcy is female-- Scuttle was the only male out of the whole four. He and Darcy got along quite well, not as well as Daisy and Shiloh, but well enough for a lazy girl and a ball of energy. She's grieving right now, as am I, but I think I'll need to get her a companion later. I'm not sure!

You might want to try introducing Darcy to your other girls! They tend to do best in trios, I've learned. If you're not able to integrate the three of them, then you should definitely look into a friend for her, since female mice don't do well alone.

_________________
Bat tabby | she/her | 22 | tx, usa Bat
~Mouse Dossier~
my mouse gallery


Cool mouse mom to: Checkers, Clue, Mahjong, Dragon, Peebee, Pumpkin, Hazelnut, Thyme, Caramel, + Olive
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Jay, Sid, + Zola
avatar
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2017-11-23
Posts : 232
Likes : 62

Sagittarius Batty

View user profile https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by jay.mayhem on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:41 pm

@chiroptera wrote: You might want to try introducing Darcy to your other girls! They tend to do best in trios, I've learned. If you're not able to integrate the three of them, then you should definitely look into a friend for her, since female mice don't do well alone.
Thank you for the advice! I'm a little hesitant to put her in with the others just because they've bonded really well and I don't want to stress them/overcrowd the cage either. I'm going to post something in a moment with my specific concerns, but there are a few outstanding factors. Maybe I should get two friends, if they do well in groups of three? Thanks again!

_________________
New to the world of mice, but not to the world of rodents. Mice, hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas.
My meeces: Darcy, Daisy, Daphne, Kalypso, Saratoga

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
avatar
jay.mayhem
Full Member
Full Member

Join date : 2017-12-02
Posts : 66
Likes : 14

Scorpio Worried

View user profile https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:54 pm

@jay.mayhem wrote:
@Rodents rock! wrote: I would keep Darcy by himself now as male mice shouldn't live together, they are very territorial and can badly injure each other or it can even end in death. Male mice do fine on their own as long as the get attention from their human Very Happy  Scuttlebug and Darcy probably did ok for the time they were together because they were young, but once the hormones kick in, it's not recommended.

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it!
Darcy is female-- Scuttle was the only male out of the whole four. He and Darcy got along quite well, not as well as Daisy and Shiloh, but well enough for a lazy girl and a ball of energy. She's grieving right now, as am I, but I think I'll need to get her a companion later. I'm not sure!

Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed Darcy was a boy. Very Happy
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 599

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by chiroptera on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 12:18 am

@jay.mayhem wrote:Thank you for the advice! I'm a little hesitant to put her in with the others just because they've bonded really well and I don't want to stress them/overcrowd the cage either. I'm going to post something in a moment with my specific concerns, but there are a few outstanding factors. Maybe I should get two friends, if they do well in groups of three? Thanks again!

3 girls will do alright in a 10 gal aquarium, or a similarly sized tub/cage, so as long as they're in something around that size, overcrowding shouldn't be a huge issue. If you do try to introduce them, introduce them first on neutral territory and see how they do, and make a decision based on that.

But if you do decide not to put Darcy in with the other two (which, if they seem to be very close and have no dominance problems, it should be alright with just the two), I would recommend getting Darcy two new pals, it just leaves less room for one mouse to pick on the second.

It isn't impossible to keep them in pairs (my girls were a duo up until very recently, and they were fine), but most will recommend that girls do best in threes, and I definitely agree from what I've seen since I brought Checkers into the family.

oh, and no problem at all! Love to help/love talking about animals! Smile

_________________
Bat tabby | she/her | 22 | tx, usa Bat
~Mouse Dossier~
my mouse gallery


Cool mouse mom to: Checkers, Clue, Mahjong, Dragon, Peebee, Pumpkin, Hazelnut, Thyme, Caramel, + Olive
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Jay, Sid, + Zola
avatar
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2017-11-23
Posts : 232
Likes : 62

Sagittarius Batty

View user profile https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by jay.mayhem on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 1:22 am

@chiroptera wrote:3 girls will do alright in a 10 gal aquarium, or a similarly sized tub/cage, so as long as they're in something around that size, overcrowding shouldn't be a huge issue. If you do try to introduce them, introduce them first on neutral territory and see how they do, and make a decision based on that.

But if you do decide not to put Darcy in with the other two (which, if they seem to be very close and have no dominance problems, it should be alright with just the two), I would recommend getting Darcy two new pals, it just leaves less room for one mouse to pick on the second.

Thank you so much! I'm really leaning towards getting two new babies. I'm also considering a bigger tank so there's more room for fun. The other two are already a team and work well together, so I'm thinking I'll just get new pals. Thank you so so much!

_________________
New to the world of mice, but not to the world of rodents. Mice, hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas.
My meeces: Darcy, Daisy, Daphne, Kalypso, Saratoga

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
avatar
jay.mayhem
Full Member
Full Member

Join date : 2017-12-02
Posts : 66
Likes : 14

Scorpio Worried

View user profile https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 8:38 am

@jay.mayhem wrote:
@chiroptera wrote:3 girls will do alright in a 10 gal aquarium, or a similarly sized tub/cage, so as long as they're in something around that size, overcrowding shouldn't be a huge issue. If you do try to introduce them, introduce them first on neutral territory and see how they do, and make a decision based on that.

But if you do decide not to put Darcy in with the other two (which, if they seem to be very close and have no dominance problems, it should be alright with just the two), I would recommend getting Darcy two new pals, it just leaves less room for one mouse to pick on the second.

Thank you so much! I'm really leaning towards getting two new babies. I'm also considering a bigger tank so there's more room for fun. The other two are already a team and work well together, so I'm thinking I'll just get new pals. Thank you so so much!

When you get two more girls for Darcy, you may want to start them in the ten gallon tank till they are tame. Then when they are tame, you could move them to a 20 gallon tank. Very Happy
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 599

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by Peachy on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:59 am

Welcome to the forum! Mouse Wave I look forward to getting to know you and your group.

_________________
Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen.

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
avatar
Peachy
Moderator
Moderator

Join date : 2016-04-06
Posts : 2886
Likes : 827

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: An Introduction to My Madness

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum