PEW mice ears

Go down

PEW mice ears

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 8:11 am

How come some some PEW mice have white ears, and some pink? What would be the "proper" ear color for this coat color? Just curious!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: PEW mice ears

Post by Darkly_Innocent on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 7:36 am

Good question, I'd be interested in hearing the answer to this too.

Jr Member

Gemini Sick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:27 am

Maybe the ones with pink ears are happier. Smile
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/rats-smile-with-their-ears/

I'm not convinced there's really a notable reason. More/less hair on their ears? There's a difference in ear color in standard black vs extreme black. Perhaps the difference with PEWs would be genetic also. A PEW can genetically be... albino, a combination of dilutes that washed out the color, well placed spotting genes, etc.

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:47 am

You know, I didn't even realize there was a difference. Do you have any pictures of it, AnonymousMouseOwner? Smile
You know how there are always so many albino mice in Petcos' mouse tanks? Well, when I picked out my albino, instead of choosing between (for no reason in particular) all those mice that looked alike, I chose the friendliest one... In a way, she chose me, lol! I put my hand in the tank, and soon after that, my Allie (who I don't have anymore) got onto my hand. She really was a brave mouse... But bit me a lot, with no reason. Razz

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 5:54 pm

@Blessed wrote:You know, I didn't even realize there was a difference. Do you have any pictures of it, AnonymousMouseOwner? Smile
You know how there are always so many albino mice in Petcos' mouse tanks? Well, when I picked out my albino, instead of choosing between (for no reason in particular) all those mice that looked alike, I chose the friendliest one... In a way, she chose me, lol! I put my hand in the tank, and soon after that, my Allie (who I don't have anymore) got onto my hand. She really was a brave mouse... But bit me a lot, with no reason. Razz
Awh, she sounds cute!

Here's a pic of my first mouse, Snow, she was a PEW with pink ears (Excuse the wood bedding and her ear troubles, I didn't know how to care for mice when I had her Sad ):

And here's the guy I recently rescued, he has white ears and is a PEW:

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

Hmm. Interesting. I'm not very observant, so I doubt I would've noticed something like that, lol! =) Cute mice, though.
I have a couple of pictures of Allie. I inspected them when I saw this thread, trying to figure out which color her ears were, and then I saw they looked exactly like your boy's ears, but then I realized in the picture that it was just the lighting, 'cause in some other pictures, they were just a light pink, like Snow's. But I guess you would know there's a sure difference--seeing as you do live with him. Laughing

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:49 pm

Yes haha. I actually have another mouse with white ears too, but she's not a PEW. Sometimes in pictures it can just be the lighting on pink ears making them look white, but it is also very possible for them to have actual white ears. Here's Cotton's little white ears:

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:54 pm

Aw. That's a good picture; she's adorable. Love Albinos are beautiful (though in my opinion they don't look quite as nice when the tanks at stores are filled with only/mostly albinos, lol), but I actually find the Black-eyed Whites really pretty... and, unique, to be honest; since most pure white rodents have the red eyes, ya' know?

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Moose on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 12:12 pm

I’m thinking that maybe albino mice have pink ears and PEW mice have white ears. I can’t exactly explain my reasoning, and it may be the other way around, but that’s what I think. Because albino is the abscence of pigment, the ears are pink as default like paws and noses. With PEW they are pure white, so their ears are the white color. At least it makes sense in my head...

Winter Moose

No Mood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 12:58 pm

I thought all PEWs were albino but apparently that's only the c/c genotype? Interesting!

What you said actually interests me! Albinism in humans has a lot of different types -- so there's a diversity in the way albinistic people look, with eye colors, skin, hair, and more. Maybe the same goes for PEWs? In albinistic humans, we could have eyes from blue, to golden, to purple depending on the type and your genetics/ancestry, as well as differing abilities to tan, patchy skin, and so on. I wonder how many types of albinism there are in mice and if that could affect the ear color?

Or maybe they just have more hair. Who knows.
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 2:29 am

@River wrote:I thought all PEWs were albino but apparently that's only the c/c genotype? Interesting!
It's the other way round - all albinos are PEWs but not all PEWs are albino Smile
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down