Autumn is changing color?!

Go down

Autumn is changing color?!

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

Is this normal? I just thought it was unusual. Do siamese mice maybe change color with age?

Edit: I just asked her breeder too, maybe the breeder will know!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn is changing color?!

Post by CallaLily on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 6:27 pm

Interesting. I know @Peachy has had a few mice that have changed coloring.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 6:29 pm

When mice molt, they tend to look more "sooty" than normal, which is what you're seeing. It should go away.

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 6:34 pm

@Peachy wrote:When mice molt, they tend to look more "sooty" than normal, which is what you're seeing. It should go away.
Huh, I'd never heard of that! What causes mice to molt?

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 6:50 pm

How old is she? They tend to do it a couple times when they're young for their adult coat. After that, I would assume it's season related, like with dogs and cats. My boy did it about every six months.

Edit: I still don't know why they change color when they molt, but I spent forever trying to figure it out... on two different occasions. lol
My boy changed in May and then again in January. In this thread (which shows my boy too), Cora was young when she changed, so it was one of those baby molts. She's been back to yellow for a while now. Smile
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t939p15-the-reason-i-stay-out-of-pet-stores-lol#11427

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 7:00 pm

@Peachy wrote:How old is she? They tend to do it a couple times when they're young for their adult coat. After that, I would assume it's season related, like with dogs and cats. My boy did it about every six months.
The breeder told me she was about 2 months old when I got her, and I've had her for about 4-5. So she's around 6-7 months. I guess that would be the right time then, if they do it about every 6 months!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 9:41 pm

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
@Peachy wrote:When mice molt, they tend to look more "sooty" than normal, which is what you're seeing. It should go away.
Same. I never knew mice molted! =) But horses (particularly spotted or gray ones) tend to change color a little throughout the different seasons, I'm pretty sure (though I don't think it's considered molting in their case). It's very interesting but they're so beautiful (but...what horse isn't, lol?).
Anyways, AMO, you have a very pretty girl. Cool I've never seen a Siamese mouse in person before. And I know this doesn't have anything to do with your question, but, since you got her from a breeder, just curious--how much did she cost? And is the breeder far away or close by you? And that's kind of comical that Autumn, out of all your mice, is changing color a bit, 'cause, you know, her name's autumn. (Get it? Lol!). Wink
My Danny only changed color slightly from when I first got him, 'til when he was older. You could barely notice it, though. I want to post a couple pictures to see if you guys could notice it, but I don't want to hijack this thread, as I feel like I do that a lot. Razz

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm

@Blessed wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
Same. I never knew mice molted! =) But horses (particularly spotted or gray ones) tend to change color a little throughout the different seasons, I'm pretty sure (though I don't think it's considered molting in their case). It's very interesting but they're so beautiful (but...what horse isn't, lol?).
Anyways, AMO, you have a very pretty girl.  Cool I've never seen a Siamese mouse in person before. And I know this doesn't have anything to do with your question, but, since you got her from a breeder, just curious--how much did she cost? And is the breeder far away or close by you? And that's kind of comical that Autumn, out of all your mice, is changing color a bit, 'cause, you know, her name's autumn. (Get it? Lol!).  Wink
My Danny only changed color slightly from when I first got him, 'til when he was older. You could barely notice it, though. I want to post a couple pictures to see if you guys could notice it, but I don't want to hijack this thread, as I feel like I do that a lot. Razz

Interesting to know! Horses are beautiful!

Thank you! Actually, the breeder was kind enough to give her and the other mouse I got from there to me for free, even though I was willing to pay. However, a different breeder in my state that I was looking at actually charges $20-25 per mouse! The breeder is about 40 minutes from me.

Haha, I was thinking that too! It is funny that her name is Autumn and she's changing colors!

Feel free to share pictures, I don't mind! Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 12:10 am

FYI: The mouse breeder got back to me, and also said it was molting. Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkly_Innocent on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 9:45 pm

Omg, I'm in love with little Autumn! I had no clue mice came in a Siamese coloration! Heart Eyes

Jr Member

Gemini Sick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzle on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 5:32 am

Siamese are temperature sensitive, and more prone to molt marks then some of the other varieties. I love how dark her points are!

Frizzle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 1:23 am

Wow, her whole body is turning dark!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 1:37 am

That is so cool!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down