Topper Brands

Go down

Topper Brands

Post by River on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 9:16 pm

I thought this had been addressed before but I can't find it, so I guess readdressing it won't hurt.

Now I know toppers are generally pretty difficult things and not very loved on this forum -- with being difficult to access from that one door and all -- but sometimes I feel the need to offer more space and an area with better ventilation. That said, she comes to the highest point of the cage when she hears snacks anyways, so I don't feel very deterred.

Though I am a very short person.

I'm ranting.

Anyways. I won't be using it constantly, just when I feel like offering more room, or when I'm at a point where I can't handle them often. But problemo; I can't find any brands that aren't 1/2" in bar spacing. Isn't that too big?

What brands did you / do you use? Any links?

Remembering Maier & Garcia
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topper Brands

Post by Peachy on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 10:28 pm

I was a topper basher in the other topper thread, but I currently use the one from Petco for my Mika. I originally bought it for my old guy, Frog, because he loved the mesh one I made and I thought it would be more comfortable. I like that the first floor goes all the way across, instead of having a big gap like the one I bought years ago did.

Mika loves it too, so I suck it up when it's time to clean and if I have to get to the tank part. The bar spacing isn't bad, but double check to make sure nothing is off. 1/4 an inch is perfect for the smallest of mice, but larger spacing should be okay for adults that aren't teensy.

I'm short too, grab a step stool. Teehee

~Alex, Verity, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 11:12 pm

Graham used to be pretty little, but she's less so now, so I don't think she'll escape. Her cage is up high anyway, with no table around it to escape onto. Is there any way to tell if a mouse can/will escape? Do you just observe for the first hour or so of use?

There are three types we're considering (we prefer to use Prime, but it's no biggy if the high rise is safer.) Which one should we go with? I think I'm leaning towards the Petco one, as the bar spacing is allegedly 3/8 rather than 1/2, but I'm not sure as that one looks much more difficult to access from the door.

https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufacturing-Chew-Proof-Small/dp/B0027J381U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513228115&sr=8-2&keywords=tank+topper

https://www.amazon.com/You-Me-Small-Animal-Topper/dp/B01MYOQ1QR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513228115&sr=8-3&keywords=tank+topper

https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-First-Home-Tank-Topper/dp/B0006IUL64/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513228115&sr=8-4&keywords=tank+topper

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 12:05 am

The second one is the one I have currently. The first is the one I had first, and the door being flat at the top like that was actually more inconvenient than it is slanted. At least for someone reaching up and in. Razz

You can kinda just tell when you look at the spacing compared to your mouse. Figure if your mouse would be able to get their head through, they can escape. A safe rule of thumb I use for adults is that anything around the size of a dime or larger can be squeezed through.

For reference, a dime is a bit less than 3/4 an inch, and that spacing varies a lot, but for the most part is less than 1/2 an inch.

~Alex, Verity, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 9:28 am

Thank you!

River

Pisces Spaced