Serious Eye Problem

Go down

Serious Eye Problem

Post by melsmousies on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 8:23 am

Hello everyone, I'm a new mouse parent and I've had my girls for 5 months now. Just recently I noticed Spot was sleeping a lot and not really coming out to say hi I saw her Monday and I was so sad to see her eyes are swollen, crusted, red and today completely shut. I really want to do anything I can to ease any pain she may be in she is moving around, eating and drinking water but she's very greasy looking and I don't think is keeping up with her cleaning which I can't blame her. What ever she has hasn't spread to her cage mate Gemma. Any help would be greatly appreciated even if it is just a matter of time of her passing if I make it easier on her I want to. I recently cleaned the cage all paper bedding and kept the layout as simple as possible for her to move about. I've attached a picture for reference her eyes are completely shut now but this is what they looked like Monday. She always did have small inset eyes so I wonder if this was just a matter of time. I must mention they're not hand tamed but in her current state she's not minding me giving her some cuddles. Is there anything over the counter I can do? Thanks for your help!

melsmousies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Serious Eye Problem

Post by Peachy on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 9:45 am

Using a warm wash cloth to gently clean eyes usually helps clear up yucky stuff, at least for a minute. Saline solution can be used to help any irritation also. Sometimes it's simply irrirated from weird things like nesting with soiled bedding. If it doesn't seem to improve after a couple cleanings I'd check with a vet.

~Alex, Verity, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melsmousies on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 9:59 am

I think I need to completely wipe down the cage even though I don't want to disturb her too much. What is the saline solution ratio for salt/water? I appreciate your help!
melsmousies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 10:24 am

A teaspoon per cup of warm water is the usual recommendation. Hope your lady feels better soon! Good vibes

~Alex, Verity, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 12:26 pm

I've had mice with irritated eyes in the past; I clean out the sleeping area daily when this happens and when it's as bad as it is, flush it with saline. Basically just a repeat of what Peachy said.

Good luck.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melsmousies on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 2:33 pm

Thanks for the help I just hope I don't stress her out even more since they aren't hand tamed but she's been a lot more keen on me petting her but sadly its because she cant see. Breaks my heart Sad
melsmousies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 4:18 pm

Of course we hope some saline rinsing and clean bedding takes care of the eye crust problem, but if Spot does not get some eye relief quickly, she may need professional treatment for an eye infection.

This time of year, with heat blowing in buildings, I deal with my own sore, swollen, red eyes with purple circles around them practically all the time. The dried-out eye surface becomes a playground for bacteria, and it's a constant fight against infection. Tears just disappear in the hot, dry indoor wind. I have climate control vents closed in my office and in my bedroom to minimize the problem. Outside, no matter how cold it might be, the problem alleviates, because the hot, dry indoor air is not blowing in my eyes. I actually sit in my car to read my books in the evening.

So, anyway, since the way little Spot's eyes look reminds me of my own winter eyes (poor little Spot), I thought it might be useful to note that soiled bedding or other contaminants comprise one source of potential ocular irritation, but the microclimate could be an invisible irritant as well. The important thing for Spot, though, is that the irritation gets cleared up as quickly as possible to avoid eye damage, sinus infection, or other health problems.

Get better, little Spot!

P.S. You can look up instructions online for preparing saline solution -- look for "isotonic" or "normal" saline (which will give approximately the same salinity as tears), preferably from a reputable source like a hospital. ("Normal" saline is used for cleaning wounds, too, so it is useful to have that information when you are doing home-care for somebody with compromised skin integrity -- which was the case at my house not that long ago...) I recall it was 1 teaspoon of non-iodized salt stirred into 2 cups (16 ounces) of water, boiling the salt+water solution, then covering it while it cools back to a comfortable temperature to apply to the injured tissue.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melsmousies on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 6:41 am

I’m happy to announce she’s back to her normal self her eyes have completely healed it’s really a miracle I thought I was gonna lose her. I’ve upped my cleanings to every other day, discarded the Aspen bedding and using paper only and threw away the items I think could of caused it which was a Timothy hay hut and chews. I also closed the heater which I think could of been a big culprit too. I’m just so happy I was able to help her and all the useful advice you all gave!
melsmousies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkly_Innocent on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 4:17 pm

I'm so happy to hear she is doing well! Christmas miracle indeed!

Jr Member

Gemini Sick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 12:12 pm

It could've also been an allergic reaction or irritation to the aspen bedding! Just food for thought.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 5:29 pm

So happy to hear she is all better. She sure is cute. Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 12:15 pm

Do we get to see a photo or two (or three) of Spot and Gemma, now that Spot's all better?

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum