Clicking?

Go down

Clicking?

Post by TiramisuTheMouse on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 5:07 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new here but haven't had time to make a proper introduction. Three days ago a got my first mouse, a male named Tiramisu. I have really loved watching him and today we did our first taming session that went really well. But, I have noticed that he is always making this clicking noise, sometimes louder than others. I thought maybe it was a respiratory infection but he isn't showing any other signs, like trouble breathing or sneezing, it is just constant clicking. It worries me a little and I just want some advice. Thanks!

TiramisuTheMouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clicking?

Post by River on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 6:55 pm

If the clicking is constant, a respiratory infection is more than likely. Mice hide symptoms of illness very, very well.

That said, my first mouse was a chattery one -- and when we put her friend in there as a baby, she slowly learned to chatter to. The only way to know if it's chattering (healthy vocalization) and not a URI click is to see if they're doing it constantly, or just occasionally. Put your mouse up to your ear and listen. Are the clicks in time with his breathing?

If so, you should probably see a vet. What bedding are you using?

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TiramisuTheMouse on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 7:58 pm

Yeah, he seems to click constantly, even when he is sleeping. Darn, it sucks that I already have to take him to the vet. I will see if I can schedule an appointment. I know it differs, but do you know around how much it will cost. I have a savings of about $70-$80, so I think that will be enough.

Also, I am using a layer of Yesterday's News cat litter on the bottom and cut up fleece as a bedding. It was a video I saw on a youtuber's channel called HammyTime. He doesn't chew the fleece at all and the litter seems to be decent at odor control.

Is there anything I can do to help before I can get him to the vet? Also, how fast do I need to get him there? I am going to schedule an appointment as soon as possible, but I don't know when my parents will have time.

TiramisuTheMouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 8:35 pm

$60-80 will almost definitely be enough. Call around if you can, but the prices here are anywhere between $20- 50 for check ups, the rest goes for medicine if prescribed.

Is the cat litter the scented variety? I believe yesterday news unscented is safe (and good for males) but of course, the scented variety can cause a problem for your mouses lungs.  Sometimes, however, URI's occur without any apparent reason.

He should be fine for a few days. Spot cleaning the designated 'bathroom areas' of the cage will help.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TiramisuTheMouse on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 8:41 pm

The cat litter is unscented. I will try and do an update after the vet. Thanks so much for your help!

TiramisuTheMouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 9:13 pm

I have a mouse who went through a phase of doing that, kind of like yours, but I was/am still not sure if she has a respiratory infection. Undecided

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum