Maybe pregnant?

Go down

Maybe pregnant?

Post by jay.mayhem on Mon 18 Dec 2017, 1:36 pm

So, in weighing my mice and watching them play/etc I've seen differences in Saratoga. She's slower and calmer than the other babies and weighs 20% more than them (which is only 5 grams, but 5 makes a difference). The last Kalypso was in with the girls was the sixth and I don't know the rest of their past, so I'm watching Sara for pregnancy signs. Daphne weighs the same as Kali so I'm not too concerned, but Sara I guess I'm watching just to be safe. Do you think it's reasonable to be concerned or is she not preggo at all? The latest we'd be looking for babies is Dec. 30th.
Next question is: I'm going to be getting vitasmart parakeet next time I'm out, should I be adding anything to her diet? She's in with Daphne, too; should I separate them?

She's anywhere from 6-8 weeks old and weighs 31g (29 last night, I figure that's normal fluctuation?).

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

View user profile https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Maybe pregnant?

Post by Peachy on Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:25 pm

Mice do start gaining quickly towards the end of pregnancy, but it could be normal weight. Have you been monitoring it longer term? Any fun behavior changes like elaborate nests? Those aren't a guarantee, but are fun to see. Laughing

It's also hard to say for certain just by looking at her... my last pregnant mouse didn't look pregnant at all! And then there were a couple that I thought looked pregnant but weren't. I wouldn't separate yet, if they're currently 8 weeks old, chances are she was too young to get pregnant (or he was too young to impregnate her) when they were still together.

You can add some high protein supplements, like quality dog food or cooked egg.

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jay.mayhem on Mon 18 Dec 2017, 4:05 pm

I haven't had them more than two weeks, so I haven't gotten to see their behavior patterns or weight norms yet (I just started weighing). I'm hoping they were too young because I know it can be hard on young does, but I'm erring on the side of caution. I'm changing cages out today and going with some bedding that's easier to manage for now until they're tamer.
I'll add some extras in just in case, and continue monitoring weight. Hopefully no babies, but you'll hear if there are!
Thank you!

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by jay.mayhem on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 1:43 am

Question: do you know how much weight gain is typical in pregnant mice? They've been pretty consistent so far (staying about 30/31g and 23/24g), but there's a possibility they've even got 17 days still. Do you even notice a difference this early? Sorry for being so nosey per se, I just want to know what to watch for (I'll be fine either way I suppose, I just don't like not knowing lol)
Thank you!

jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 4:08 am

I'm not sure how there's 17 days left, unless that was a typo. Mice are pregnant for 19-21 days, and we advise to count to 23 to be on the safe side. If you separated on 12/7, there should be less than a week left in her pregnancy, and you typically would notice some change in body shape by now. As the last week progresses, she'll continue to get larger.
Weight gain will depend on each individual mouse, but most will have a noticeable and consistent gain during the last week.

~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jay.mayhem on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 10:27 am

Lol that was definitely a typo. 7 days. Thank you!

jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 10:49 am

Any sign of babies? Christmas babies? Santa Wiggle

~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jay.mayhem on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 12:13 pm

I don't think so! I haven't been able to weigh in the last two days as my scale is dead but I really don't think so. They seem just fine and nothing has changed, so I think we're good! (I'm both relieved and disappointed... Babies are cute, but I don't have the skills to deal with them 😂)

jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 12:57 pm

Well, that's good news! Not for me since I like baby pictures, but good news for you. Wink

~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jay.mayhem on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 11:05 pm

So.. if they haven't changed weight by tomorrow (4 days from the absolute latest due date) when I put new batteries in my scale, do you think it's safe to do introductions or should I wait til next week?

jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 11:14 pm

I would say so, yes. Chances are high that if you've been attentive you would know she's pregnant. Hope things go well!

~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 9:47 pm

Good luck on the introductions! Hope all goes well Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile