Drive Lengths to the Vet?

Go down

Drive Lengths to the Vet?

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 6:10 pm

This has been on my mind for a little while, so I thought I'd ask you guys to weigh in. So I want to switch the veterinarian I take my mice too because while I've been satisfied with the way my current vet treats minor ailments, I haven't been satisfied with her problem solving skills at all when it comes to real emergencies. I think it's time for a switch. There are a few options near me, all of them being exotic vets, but there's a place in particular that has interested me. It's a place called Island Exotics Veterinary Care, and it's a hospital that only treats exotic animals, which sounds perfect! The downside is it's an hour away.

Now, for things like URIs or whatever, I wouldn't mind driving my mice (and future rabbit) so long to see a super exotic-savvy vet. But, for commute, how long is too long? Like, at what point does a drive become so long that it actually becomes detrimental to a sick animal's health? I liked the place I'm currently seeing because it's only 15 minutes away, nice and quick for when something bad is going on. Is risking a mouse's health in an hour-long car ride worth seeing a super amazing vet? Or at that point, is it better to pick someone closer by who perhaps isn't as mouse savvy but can get the job done? What do you guys think?

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drive Lengths to the Vet?

Post by CallaLily on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 7:32 pm

For a good vet I think the drive would be worth it. My vet is not that far but he does walk-ins only so we almost always have a long wait. I just make sure they have lightweight hides, comfy familiar smelling bedding, food, and fresh veggies to keep hydrated. So far the mice that have needed a vet visit have done really well. No one seemed overly stressed with the wait or the exam.

CallaLily

Aquarius No Mood

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm

Have you ever had to bring a mouse in who was having a real medical emergency? I know that for mice, when they're down for the count, you usually just want to keep them at home and keep them comfortable, but regardless, I don't want to have to count on that.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 9:51 pm

Not so far. Just tumors, an ear infection, and Daryl's eye troubles. When Daryl and Seren passed in my hands it was too quick to even call, so I haven't been there yet. Sorry.

CallaLily

Aquarius No Mood

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm

Does no one else have any thoughts on this?

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 9:45 pm

Years ago when I had a ferret, for normal checkups I went to my regular vet. When he started having some problems, my vet recommended an exotic pet vet who specialized in ferrets. It was far away, but I wanted what was best for my ferret so I went to the exotic pet vet and my ferret ended up having to have surgery. So I'm glad I took the advice of my regular vet to go to the other vet. So I think it depends on what the circumstances are. If you feel it warrants traveling far for a vet who specializes in mice, then I would say yes. If it's for something basic, like antibiotics for a problem, then I would probably go to the closer vet, as long as you feel comfortable with them. Hope that helps Smile
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 9:57 pm

Oh rip, I just realized it was only two days of silence before I bumped the thread. X__X I thought it had been longer! Sorry!

But anyway, my main concern is more getting to the vet in medical emergencies. Will my animals survive an hour long car trip if they are dying and need to be rushed to the hospital? Will a vet that's an hour away be able to do house calls if need be? My old vet was willing to do house calls if the circumstance was dire or if it was a euthanasia, but she was only 15 minutes away. I don't mind the longer drive if something horrible isn't happening, but an hour in the car would be pushing it for a dying animal, right?

Edit: After a little bit more thought, I decided I'm going to check out a place that's 23 minutes away before looking at the exotics hospital. They have a certified exotics vet there, so I'll scope her out and see what her experience with rabbits and mice is. Then I'll call the exotic hospital and compare. I'm still willing to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter, though!

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 10:06 pm

I don't know if I'd risk an hour for an emergency vet. Otherwise, I'd say definitely worth it, but emergencies are...emergencies. Rabbits are prone to heat stroke, especially here in Florida, so when we had a particularly bad run in with it we wanted it dealt with ASAP. An hour in a car when you're dealing with heat isn't great in my experience.
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 10:24 pm

Yeah, hm. That's a good point.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 11:29 pm

Yea, if it's an emergency situation, I would definitely go to a vet that's closer by.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 11:12 am

Alright! So I investigated the exotics vet who's 25 minutes away, and turns out they have tons of experience with rabbits, rats, mice, and all sorts of exotic animals! Apparently seeing rats and mice is a very frequent occurrence. The place has great reviews on google and is only four exits down the highway, so I'm eager to check it out! Clover has an appointment with them on Tuesday.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 11:37 am

Oh, that's great news!! Let us know how Clover's appointment goes Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 2:29 pm