Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ware Manufacturing High Rise Review

Go down

Ware Manufacturing High Rise Review Empty Ware Manufacturing High Rise Review

Post by River on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 11:50 pm

I decided to do a cage review on the new habitat. I hadn't seen a whole lot before purchasing, so maybe it'll be helpful for others in the future. Or maybe I was just bored.

General Description:

This is a medium-sized wire topper that converts any 10 gallon aquarium into a leveled cage for small pets. It comes with two shelves and two ramps (both made with wire mesh), a plastic water bottle, and a plastic food dish.  

My first impression is that while the bowl is a good size and of good build, the water bottle seems cheap. I would have a back-up bottle just in case. it also seems difficult to hook onto the cage. The mesh is a little hard on the mouses feet if they spend a lot of time up there, so I have cut fleece to size the shelves.

Specifications:

19 1/2" width

11" length

10 1/2" height

The door is 6 x 9 1/2", and the shelves are both 9 x 10 1/2".

The shortest ramp is 6", while the longer one travels from the bottom shelf to the bottom of the tank.

The bar spacing is listed as 1/2", but I found that the genuine spacing for most bars is 3/8", with some varying to 1/2. The gap in the door lock is the largest space on the cage, and I covered it with the old tank lid. If you don't have one of these on hand, a book will do just fine.

The cage is marketed to all small pets, but this is far too small for rats or hamsters. This cage is best used for 1-3 mice or perhaps 1-2 gerbils.

Price:

This is being sold for $34.99 on amazon, with prime available for free shipping. I found this to be reasonable, and in my experiences, well worth it.

Cleaning + Access:

This cage only has one access door, located at the very top of the cage. This makes getting to the bottom of the tank quite difficult; I have to stand on a stool to reach in and check bottles or shift things about.

Cleaning, though, is surprisingly easy. Just pop the topper off, set it aside, and clean the tank; wipe the bars off to do a deep clean. I don't think it to be any more difficult than cleaning a plain 10 gal.

Overall Review and Experience:

My girl has loved this. She spends all night darting between levels; this is also where she chose to build her nest. It holds hammocks better than a tank, has good ventilation, and offers a ton of climbing space for curious does. This item has been well-used in my household, making for some very happy mice.

I will say that some mice chew barred cages. If your mouse starts with it, try to cancel out any direct causes. I find that weaving cardboard strips through the bars and offering tons of toys (especially hanging ones) has kept her distracted thus far, but it hadn't yet become a habit anyway.

Pros:

- Gives mice more room to play
- Offers a 10 gallon space for multiple wheels
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to clean
- Sturdy
- Offers good ventilation
- Holds hanging toys well
- Easy to assemble
- Easily holds more bedding

Cons:

- Poor access to tank level
- Not suitable for young or especially teeny mice.
- Quite tall; my mouse likes to jump from the levels. With more sensible mice, this is less of a concern.
- Could deal with a larger door

Photos for Reference:

Ware Manufacturing High Rise Review JzcC6ru
Ware Manufacturing High Rise Review K7iJbpX

Remembering Maier, Graham & Garcia
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Ware Manufacturing High Rise Review Empty Re: Ware Manufacturing High Rise Review

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 12:14 am

Nice review, and the tank and topper look great Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down