How Many New Mice?`

Go down

How Many New Mice?`

Post by CucumberMouse on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 11:01 pm

If you have one mouse who recently lost all their buddies, how many new mice should you get to keep them company? Getting two mice would even out the pack, but at the same time, if you introduce two new mice to another mouse, are the two who were already bonded more likely to exclude the one lone mouse? Would it stress the lone mouse more to have two new companions being "forced" upon her? If there's only one new mouse introduced, whichever mouse is the dominant one could end up overwhelming the less dominant mouse and causing unnecessary stress, but at the same time, it might be easier to bond the mice if only one new one was introduced?
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How Many New Mice?`

Post by River on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 1:32 am

I'm not sure! I've only introduced one mouse at a time. So far, so good, and they've always accepted each other as best friends. I'll be adding a third mouse to a pair sometime this year, so this will be good to know.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 8:12 am

Hmmm. The only time I've introduced 2 to 1 involved mice much older and therefore much more chill. 1 older gal to two other older gals and then later that same 1 older gal to two young (but very tame from the get go) sisters. Both times went really really well.

Most of my intros have been 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3. I did intro 1 new mouse to a group of 3 that went horribly, but that was likely my fault for cutting quarantine short instead of taking that time to work on taming. (never again) Paper Bag

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:34 am

I say just go for it and try 2 to 1. Think about it: to the mice, 2 to 1 would be no different from 1 to 2. Its only different to you because you know one group better than you do the other.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 4:38 pm

I don't think introducing 2 to 1 would be a biggie, either. I've done all sorts of introductions and the number of mice involved never seemed to have an effect on how it went.

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Sat 06 Jan 2018, 1:07 pm

I've introduced two new young(er?) ones to another (young-ish) one who's friend had recently passed.
They got along great, and didn't exclude one another! Smile
My original one was/is super accepting to all the mice she's met, though... Very, very sweet and gentle girl. Hearts And then the other two introduced to her weren't mean to her, and they all took it in stride wonderfully. Possibly them being the new (again, probably at least a little younger) ones meeting a very friendly mouse who already lived in the tank before them helped a little?

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down