Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Cage Calculator
Find out how many mice will fit in your cage or tank.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Please Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please Help!

Post by Chinsxoxo on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi there.

I need some help please!

I am going to breed mice and have been doing a lot of research on genetics and lines etc.

But I can't really understand it? Could someone please explain to me how it all works please?

I have been researching for a really long time and I know a lot about the care etc. for the mice.

Thanks,

A confused chinsxoxo
Chinsxoxo
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please Help!

Post by Mice Are Cute on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Hello! If you don't understand how it works, it might not be the thing for you. Have you already owned mice? If not, I recommend you keep mice as pets before you rush into breeding them. Also, what is you suppose for breeding? Having many tiny babies may pose as difficult and requires time and money.

Sorry for all the questions! And welcome to to forum! Smile

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

View user profile https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Genetics and lines can be confusing -- as long as you know the rest of mouse breeding, are prepared for the possibility that you will be forced to hand feed or keep many of the babies, then you might be ready.

What is it about the genetics that confuse you? Where will you be buying your stock? Is there another nearby breeder to ask?
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Definitely do not consider breeding mice if you have not kept them before, or do not understand their genetics. Breeding is a dangerous process for all the mice involved, and it is nothing that a beginner should be treading in. I say if you're interested in mice, keep a boy or a trio of does as pets and maybe get into breeding once you've been keeping them for a year or so.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinsxoxo on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:49 pm

Sorry for the confusion...

When I said care for them I meant for the mothers who are pregnant. I was researching about the increase in protein etc. I have had mice for three years. Also I have begun to figure out the gentics.

My stock will be coming from another breeder who is teaching me the how to's.

I didn't understand the connections between the letters i.e. aa

Thanks for the advice everyone
Chinsxoxo
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Can this breeder not explain genetics to you?

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:00 pm

Lowercase letters indicate a recessive gene, while uppercase letters indicate a dominant gene. Here's an example with human eye color:

Notice how "bb" is blue eyes, and "BB" is brown eyes. Brown is a dominant eye color, and blue is a recessive eye color. So, the child would have to receive a copy of the blue-eyed gene from both parents in order for the child to have blue eyes. Otherwise, the brown-eyed gene, being dominant, would take over, and the child would have brown eyes. If the child receives a copy of a brown-eyed gene, and a blue-eyed gene, the child would have brown eyes, since the brown-eyed gene is still dominant.

It's the same with mice. Depending on which genes you are looking at, one gene might be dominant over another.

So, for example, the "broken marked" gene in a mouse is "ss" according to the AFRMA. Notice the letters are lowercase, this indicates that the gene is recessive. So just like you see in the human eye chart above, the mouse would need a copy of this gene from both parents in order for the mouse to look broken marked.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinsxoxo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for that! The breeder was not very confident either but because NZ has a very limted number of breeders I have to get my stock from there. The mice are healthy and well looked after though. I have been doing so much research so that I can breed some of the colours that are disappearing in NZ.

Thanks for the great help
Chinsxoxo
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum