Mouse or rat?

Go down

Mouse or rat?

Post by KendraTheMouse on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 2:08 pm

So I have my two fancy little feeder mice for school and they also required me to get a rat. My only question is the african soft fur rat really a mouse? Can someone clarify this for me? This little guy is adorable but I'm not sure if he counts as a rat. And if he is a mouse then can he hang out with my female mice? He is already at least a third bigger than them and half their age.

KendraTheMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mouse or rat?

Post by River on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 3:45 pm

The African soft fur is really a mouse if I'm not mistaken. This is why they're known as the multimammate mouse! However they're a different species than our little fancy mice, so they can't breed. Lots of people on this forum keep female ASFs with male fancy mouse companions! I assume they could be housed together, but be sure to introduce slowly.

He's super cute! Are ASFs friendly?
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FuzzyMouse on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 8:43 pm

Yes, I believe they are considered mice, and I don't think anyone would really consider them a rat because they are just not as big. If you are getting rats I recommend doing lots of research. For one, rats need to be housed together, and they can live up to about 4 years. Why is your school making you get pets?(Just wondering) I don't think that they should force you to house an animal especially if you can not afford it or something. Also, I think in the cage at the bottom you have what looks like a 4-inch flying saucer which I believe is a little too small, if you are using it for a full-grown mouse I would recommend at least a 6 inch or so, but really you should use  7-12 inch just to avoid any health problems.
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

View user profile https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 8:53 pm

I believe Kendra is in school to be a Vet Tech; animal care is a common part of the course.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KendraTheMouse on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 8:59 pm

Yes its only a semester and they said I could borrow from a pet store. Instead I decided to rescue a couple feeders. This is animal laboratory medicine so there's tons on diet and medicine and enrichment. Not as much so far on social structure or species but the semester is only a week in. The rabbit that I had to get already has another home lined up but he can't go until I use him for anesthesia monitoring and recovery requirement so he's going in for a neuter.

KendraTheMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down