Help with genetics please

Go down

Help with genetics please

Post by Oliveandparis on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 2:09 pm

Disclaimer- I do not breed.
I’m curious what the outcome of a tricolor to a pew would be? I saw some cute tri color babies mixed in with pew babies at a pet shop. Is it possible they could be from the same litter? There was about 10 babies and half were tricolor. They looked like calico cats! Super cute

Oliveandparis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help with genetics please

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 3:48 pm

Tri-color is a very complicated color to understand as far as genetics go. AFRMA has a little bit on it here: http://www.afrma.org/tgtris.htm

Basically, even professional breeders have trouble understanding how it works. To me, it sounds like it's a mix of different alleles showing up in the coat. I can't seem to find what the actual alleles are that make up this color. I would make a punnet square to show you what the outcome could be, but there isn't enough info to do so. The albino gene (I think that's the same thing as a PEW gene..?) is "c", so it is recessive. So a pure albino mouse (cc) would have to be paired with a mouse that also carries the albino gene in order for any of the offspring to be albino. So unless the tri-color was carrying an albino gene, they probably aren't from the same litter, there's no way to know this for sure without a pedigree, though.

They sound like they were pretty mice! Smile

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum