Suitable Cage?

Go down

Suitable Cage?

Post by Jabberwock on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 7:15 am

I'm getting my first trio of fancy mice in about a month's time (from a good breeder). I bought an IKEA Samla 65l bin to make their cage from but now I'm a little worried it's too small for them? I used the calculator on the website and it said it was big enough but other websites say otherwise. I'd loved to have bought them the bigger 130l bin but unfortunately I just don't have the space.

Also, can anyone recommend how to go about cutting out a section of the bin for mesh? I've tried with a stanley knife and hot glue gun but the process is taking forever. Don't want to spend loads of money on something like a hot knife, however, especially because I won't be using it again once the cage is done.

Any other tips for first time owners would be nice, too. I've owned hamsters in the past and I have done research. It's just nice to hear from people with experience.

Jabberwock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suitable Cage?

Post by River on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 11:55 am

Other websites have different guidelines on housing, we treat ours as a minimum guideline more than anything! According to other forums I'm on, levels count as floorspace for mice as they do to rats, so to them, mine have 360+ square inches, while over here we still consider it a 200 with some extras. Point is, guidelines vary, deciding what you will use is all up to you and the way your mice behave in the habitat.

Can you heat the knife over a fire or stove or something? Otherwise, for tips, mice love cages crowded with toys. Many, many things to do! Hamsters seem a bit different in that respect from what I've seen.
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 4:33 pm

Hello, Jabberwock!! So exciting you could join us! Bliss
I know pretty much nothing about bin cages and liters/square feet, I think, but I will say this: A 10-gallon tank works good for up to three mice. And, if your bin is bigger than a ten-gallon--at least floor-space-wise--I'd imagine you're good to go! Smile

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 3:07 am

I tried everything before I caved and got a hot knife. Even a lighter-heated blade was cracking the plastic. Sad

others may have had more luck with that, though!

honestly the hotknife/versatool i got wasn't super expensive! if you get one from michael's/joann fabrics there's always coupons! (i work at JoAnn and on our app there are ALWAYS coupons Wink )

otherwise, slow and steady with a box cutter/utility knife; add heat if you need to!

also, please be carefull, so you don't end up with stitches like me and @Peachy did ! Laughing

Cool mouse mom to: Checkers, Clue, Mahjong, Dragon, Peebee, + Pumpkin
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Jay, Sid, + Zola
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

View user profile https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down