Brown rice diet

Go down

Brown rice diet

Post by River on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 am

After a fright last night and a pretty deep wound I decided I need to work on other things. I know for certain she has an abscess, but she's still itchy on her back, so maybe there's another cause, too. Blood being a major trigger for my PTSD, I'm doing anything to stop her from drawing so much of it. It's worth a try, right?

So...brown rice diet. First step since food changed more recently. How do you do it? Can I do it for both mice? How much do they get a day? Are veggies and puff treats still okay? Will it be okay to feed while she's on the medication?

Any information on it much appreciated! After the the only thing left to eliminate is bedding, which I change brands of...frequently.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brown rice diet

Post by Blessed on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Brown rice...as the only main food? I get it's temporary, but I'm not sure I would advise it. I probably know nothing about it, it's just--wouldn't it not have everything they need in their diet?
But, like I said, what I do know? =P

So, I'd say, do what you need to for now. I doubt it'd hurt at all! Good vibes

If you need help with suggestions for a new bedding, too, I'd definitely be happy to help! Smile

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks! It's recommended for a temporary diet for mice with severe allergic reactions. I am a little worried about its nutrition, though, so I'm scouring for more information as we speak. You're definitely not the only one questioning its value. I dont know much yet, either. Laughing

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Ah, that makes more sense! =) You've done your research...which is more than I can say for myself regarding this. Laughing
I hope all goes well for you and Graham and that she'll stop scratching herself so excessively! :/

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Google "elimination diets" for allergies. Typically it's the brown rice and some simple protein, like mealworms. Veggies are ok too. Smile Definitely not the best nutritionally, and not recommended for long-term... but neither is living with an unknown allergy.

Lulie, Pearl, Dulcie, Dandy and Tulip
Alex, Darcy, Vera and Verity
Mika, Milo, Atticus and Finnegan
Peachy

Scorpio Gloomy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 pm

How long would I have to do that before a difference shows? Will it be okay for Garcia, too?

Or would going back to her old mix be a better option? Sorry for so many questions!! I have saline wound wash to clean the wound up for now.
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 pm

A couple weeks is typical, and then you can start adding things back one by one. You may notice improvements in 5-7 days. It is ok for Garcia, too.

Lulie, Pearl, Dulcie, Dandy and Tulip
Alex, Darcy, Vera and Verity
Mika, Milo, Atticus and Finnegan
Peachy

Scorpio Gloomy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 pm

How will I add a seed mix back, one seed at a time though? Would I just experiment with different brands, or convert to pellets? In which case...what does the the rice do?
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum