Opinions: Pregnant or just Chubby?

Go down

Opinions: Pregnant or just Chubby?

Post by Mahjling on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 2:43 am

I apologize for the grainy photo quality, between the girls constantly moving in some way, and the camera not liking the lighting around the cage, these could be better, at some point I'll attempt to get clearer images.

Background!
I nabbed all my girls from petsmart, the petsmarts in my area only carry single sexes, so a store is a 'female store' or a 'male store'. Ours is a female only store, so she should not have had contact with a male in-store. However. The supplier is another story. One of the people I live with works at (a different) petsmart, and they often have animals (especially Guinea Pigs) come in pregnant. So cross contamination with a male pre-store is very very possible.

This is Monster. When I first got her she was big, much thicker than the other girls available and any of the girls I brought home (I picked from multiple litters, as some of the girls were known troublemakers, and I wanted things to remain harmonious. However, Monster was definitely thicker than the other ladies in her litter from what I could see as well) Since then, she has continued to put on weight, especially around the middle, slightly down and towards the hips. She remains sleek and relatively petite up around the shoulders, and has gained thickness only in the specified lower body/hip-ish area.

I can't quite call it one way or the other, but I really need to know one way or the other. If she's gaining weight this quickly, I need to re-adjust their diet, and possibly schedule a vet's trip to see if there are any underlying factors as to why she's getting so thick so fast when her tankmates are not. And if she is pregnant, I need to clean out one of my extra tanks so that she can have a quiet nursery to herself.

I'll be keeping an eye on her of course to see if she blossoms up into a larger size over the next week, but for now, I'm just looking for opinions.
She looks a little thinner in these images than she is, the first due to angle, and the second because some of the effect is lost when she's in a fluffy ball, but hopefully it's at least Something to work off of.

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

View user profile https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions: Pregnant or just Chubby?

Post by scaredymouse on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 1:54 pm

When did you get her? Gestation is roughly 21 days. They put on most of their weight towards the end. She does look a wee bit pear shaped in the first picture but it doesn't scream pregnant to me. I'm afraid its too early to tell. She sure is cute though. If you have a scale, you can start weighing her every day. I would wait 21 days to see for things go before rushing to the vet. Sometimes they just get fat when they get good food!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 5:54 pm

Looks like the same body shape my brindle has now. I'd guess just chubby but keep an eye on it!

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahjling on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 9:55 am

I'd only had her for less than a week in this picture! Which is why I was suspicious.
I’ve put the girls on a small diet by cutting back excess fats in their diet, and I’m confident in saying that monster is not pregnant, but is just a chubby baby.

However, I'll still be keeping a close eye on her for a while just to make sure! I've had surprises before from rodents I was certain were just pudgy and who later kindled a litter.

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

View user profile https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down