How many mice can I put in my cage?/Pregnancy Questions

Go down

How many mice can I put in my cage?/Pregnancy Questions

Post by TiramisuTheMouse on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 5:06 pm

I currently have a possibly pregnant mouse and I am trying to figure out what I will do with the babies. I have a large bin cage that the cage calculator says can fit up to eleven mice. Can I put that many together or will they fight? It would be the mom, however many girls she has, and two other females. Also, around how big are average litters? I find different numbers everywhere and I would like to know how many your litters have. After four weeks when I separate boys from girls, can the boys stay together for another week or so if I need to get more cages for them. Another sad and scary note, is it wrong to cull the babies if there are still too many for me to care for? I know that sounds awful, but I honestly don't know what I would do if she had a litter of 10 boys. I have no one to give them to. I suppose I could put an ad on craigslist or give them to a pet store, but I have a feeling they would just be food. I have one large 700 sq inch cage and one 575 inch cage. I might also be able to get some smaller bin cages if I need to for one or two boys. I might just be overreacting because I don't even know if she is pregnant for sure, I am just really nervous. I am really sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks.

TiramisuTheMouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How many mice can I put in my cage?/Pregnancy Questions

Post by CucumberMouse on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 2:51 pm

I'm not that good with mouse pregnancies, I've never owned a pregnant mouse. However, I do think I can answer a few of your questions Smile For the bin cage, I wouldn't suggest putting more than 6 mice in there, otherwise they can start to separate into different colonies and fight over space. Do you think you could post a picture of the girl you think may be pregnant? Also, you might've already done this, but be sure to check this link out

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TiramisuTheMouse on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 3:07 pm

Thanks for the reply! I will be sure to keep the numbers in that cage at 6 max. I have read that, thanks though! Also, I posted a picture of my girl in my post called, "Pregnant?"

TiramisuTheMouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 7:59 pm

Try not to worry. If she is pregnant, and has her babies, then you will be able to make some arrangements and decisions then. Who knows, she may have a few girls and one or two males. You just never know, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Personally I would keep all the babies, that way you know for sure they will be safe and well taken care of. If she ends up having several boys, you could make several bin cages as they are very inexpensive. But again, try not to worry, just wait and see how this plays out.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum