What happens if a mouse loses a litter?

Go down

What happens if a mouse loses a litter?

Post by casualmousemom on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 11:53 pm

I have a suspicion that one of my young mice is pregnant, I have not owned her long and don't own and bucks so it would have to of been from the pet store. If she is I'd gladly do all I can to keep her healthy and make sure she has everything she needs, but I had a few questions that I can't find straight answers to. 1) She seems very young and I've read that can cause complications, does this mean she may die? Or her babies may die? 2) Assuming she makes it through fine but her babies don't what (if anything) should I do? Will she become depressed if she loses her babies? I've also heard that young mothers will sometimes eat their babies, if they all were to pass would she recover...? I just want to care for her best I can should the worst happen...
casualmousemom
Jr Member
Jr Member

Gemini Stressed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What happens if a mouse loses a litter?

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 10:24 am

It is good to be prepared for emergencies, but do not let worry "throw shade" on the gloriousness that is a fresh new batch of baby mousies. Especially if you are not even sure yet that there is a batch on the way. Some mousies just chunk up some once they go home, due to all the new foods and treats they have bestowed on them -- kind of like the infamous "freshman 15", the 15 pounds students supposedly gain in their first year of college when they encounter the endless buffet of dorm food.

For question 1, yes. "Complications" means exactly that, just as it does for humans. Some complications are easily overcome, others are not so easily overcome -- and others are, unfortunately, impossible to overcome. For now, it is enough just to be aware of that fact, because you can't do much to prevent complications from happening. Just make sure mumsie is eating enough, drinking enough, resting enough, nesting enough, and avoiding unnecessary stress.

For question 2, I won't try to psychoanalyze post-partum mouse behaviour, but it seems that mice are much better at handling infant loss than humans are. They are biologically perfected to produce many litters of many babies very quickly, and to prepare each litter to be fully functional adults in mere weeks so as to vacate the nest and make room for the next litter. This ensures survival of their tiny prey species.

I would say the greatest danger the loss of most or all of a litter presents to mumsie mouse is mastitis, which is infection of the mammary tissue due to accumulation of milk. What YOU should do before birthtime is make sure you have contact with a veterinarian who both knows how to treat a pocket pet and is willing to examine one even if there is nothing obvious wrong right at that minute. If the litter, or most of the litter, is lost, you should get in touch with the vet's office to advise them of that news, to tell them you are concerned about the possibility of mastitis, and to ask what can be done to ensure the little one's health -- what do you need to watch/feel for that would indicate a problem? at what point would you need to bring her in for medical attention? can she receive any preventive antibiotics now or do you wait for symptoms to develop first? are there things you can do at home to ease any discomfort she might feel if she's congested with milk or to prevent that from happening?

Now let's hope everything is fine and we don't need to use this knowledge!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by casualmousemom on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 12:22 pm

Thank you for helping! I don't like to plan for the worst but as a newer mouse owner I just wanted to be absolutely sure I can help her if needed. That being said she's a very healthy girl and if anymouse can handle this it would be her! I'll update if my hunch proves true Very Happy thanks again!

Heart Eyes Mother to: Dorothy, Scout, Mary, Olivia, Wednesday, and Senora. Remembering: Roxie and Peggy Angel
casualmousemom
Jr Member
Jr Member

Gemini Stressed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 5:05 pm

You are welcome. I am the same way about being prepared. At least I try to be.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 8:02 pm

It's great you are doing your research and being prepared. Great job! Two Thumbs
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down