Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this homemade mix alright?

Go down

Is this homemade mix alright? Empty Is this homemade mix alright?

Post by MiasMice on Sun 04 Mar 2018, 4:50 am

A friend of mine that owns mice has suggested this homemade mix to me and I was wondering if it would be fine to use? I understand every mouse needs different nutrition etc. but just as a simple mix to start with. I'll put a question mark next to what I'm not sure is good for mice.

2 cups of Supreme Science Selective Rat food (which I've recently learned is okay!)
1 cup of rolled oats
1 cup of meadow hay cut into medium/small strands (?)
3/4 cup of uncooked pasta
1 cup of uncooked brown rice (?)
1 cup of sesame seeds (?)
1/4 cup of chia seeds (?)
1 cup of bran flakes

I've heard on this forum that you should not attempt a homemade mix but I would also like to advise to my friend if this mix is unsuitable

Edit: Also, how much should you give to a mouse everyday of their mix? The smallest I have is a 1/4 of a cup measuring cup

Last edited by MiasMice on Sun 04 Mar 2018, 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding something)

Lily & Freya

Mice

Not yet...  Wink

Dogs

Taffy, Bella & Lola

Over The Rainbow Bridge

Rosie
MiasMice
MiasMice
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Is this homemade mix alright? Empty Re: Is this homemade mix alright?

Post by CallaLily on Sun 04 Mar 2018, 11:40 am

Nothing there is harmful. They don’t really eat hay much (except the seed heads) but they do like to chew and nest with it. I personally like more variety in my seed mix, but that’s just me. Do you know the final result of crude protein, crude fat, and crude fiber? That’ll give a better idea on the complete mix. Measuring by weight is more accurate than cups or scoops.

I know this link is for hamsters, but it really helped me a lot when I was first learning how to calculate a homemade mix. http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/102287-hamster-nutrition-iii-calculating-the-guaranteed-analysis-of-a-mixed-diet/page-1
Just remember to go by the general recommendations for pet mice (which you can find in a sticky in this section) and not what they recommend for hamsters. I hope this helps. My only other suggestion is to read everything you can find on mouse diets. There are so many different homemade diets out there, I find this is the best way to get a better feel for what makes a good mouse diet than just blindly following someone else’s recipe. Good luck. Smile

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by MiasMice on Sun 04 Mar 2018, 12:59 pm

That link was very helpful! I used their handy little homemade mix calculator and it came up with 11% crude protein, 5.33% crude fat and 6.860% crude fibre. I don't think these are super accurate (but pretty close) as it's made for a hamster's diet but I know that I need more protein in the diet.

Lily & Freya

Mice

Not yet...  Wink

Dogs

Taffy, Bella & Lola

Over The Rainbow Bridge

Rosie
MiasMice
MiasMice
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down