The Grosvenor

Go down

The Grosvenor

Post by tinks on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

i already have The Grosvenor cage and was wondering if it was suitable for keeping mice in the size is
L: 78cm W: 48cm H: 36cm bar spacing is 1cm so is it suitable?

i will buy another cage if need be as i am still researching their needs but if cage is suitable then that's half the battle and i can plan toys, wheels and everything else that i need to add

tinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Grosvenor

Post by River on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 3:48 pm

Yes that is suitable for mice! It's 30x18 inches, and the bar spacing is...about 1/3 of an inch? If I'm not mistaken...which should be fine for grown mice, I have a centimeter bar spacing on my cage topper and it holds my 31 gram girl pretty well despite her being smaller than my others. Its also worth noting that bar spacing measures bar to bar, not the true space between them so it may be a tiny bit smaller.

7 is the maximum mice allowed in this cage, according to our calculator, but I would keep a smaller number just so they're all spoiled. Love
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tinks on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 4:08 pm

ok was just thinking to get a few not sure which yet either male or females. will work out toys and get ordering some toys and wheels. i'm guessing at 8" or bigger? smaller? as i said i haven't gotten any yet so not sure sizes needed but will continue to research first

tinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 7:20 pm

The 6.5 silent spinner is the smallest wheel recommended, and larger mice will likely need a bit bigger, so yes, your sizing is correct for the most part! The flying saucer (I have the 7" I believe) provides the most natural running surface for mice but mine became difficult to spin after about two years of use. 7 or 8" is ideal, there are a lot of types to choose from! Smile
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 7:55 pm

@tinks wrote:ok was just thinking to get a few not sure which yet either male or females.

If you want to house your mice together, I'd definitely recommend getting females. Males are likely to end up fighting when they reach adulthood, possibly fighting to the death, while females get along MUCH better Smile

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by tinks on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 5:31 am

thank-you will get an 8" wheel. and females it is Smile wouldn't want to cause them any unnecessary problems just so i could keep more than 1 male.

i keep rats so i am guessing if its safe for them its safe for mice?

bedding wise i use cardboard or carefresh paper bedding so will use that in their cage, smaller versions of my ratty hammocks and wooden chew toys

anything i need to avoid as i know some things aimed at small pets are unsuitable

tinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tinks on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 8:07 am

soo i seem to over estimated the size of the cage and the toys that would fit, i wanted it to look natural so ordered a lot of wooden toys and a wooden wheel might need a smaller one lol so i was thinking i will need a bigger cage to fit all the toys in and not have it all crammed in so anyone recommend a really big cage for 5 girls in the uk i have seen the alaska in zooplus that looks bigger but not sure if it would be suitable

tinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 11:17 am

Mice kinda like crowded cages -- see the Housing Thread -- since open spaces can scare them, but I'm not sure if I can think of anything bigger. Maybe you could switch out the toys weekly? I do!

Remembering Maier & Garcia
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tinks on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 11:56 am

thats possible to switch them out but wheel takes up half the space, think i really did over estimate its size, 29cm diameter didn't want it too small

tinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 12:33 pm

I copied this post over from TFM when we all moved here, so I’m not sure how up-to-date it is. But here it is just in case it helps at all. https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t24-help-for-the-uk-members

Feel free to add to it in any way if you’ve found the info wrong or out dated or just have any good finds to add. Smile

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin, Hershey & the Oliebollen Boys, Emrys & Cream
+3 babies!
Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Shocked

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by tinks on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 12:39 pm

thats perfect thank-you. barney cage is now on order will have enough room for the wheel and a few other toys then rather than just room for the wheel and not much else

tinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum