Is my mouse pregnant?

Go down

Is my mouse pregnant?

Post by CutesyMousey on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 4:27 pm

I only got my mice 5 days ago but I’m noticing that one of my mice in particular is more pear-shaped than the others and I didn’t notice she was bigger than the others until today. Is it possible that she’s either pregnant or eating more than the others? I’m not sure when the breeder seperated the males and females so I’m a bit concerned. I’m not even sure the breeder entirely knew much about mice since I’m pretty certain that he was only breeding them to be fed to his reptiles, so perhaps he accidentally put a male with the females...but all my other girls seem very slim and lean, unlike this mouse in particular. Help!? I’ll try to keep her updated in case it’s hard to tell if she’s pregnant at this stage and I’ll let you know if her size increases

CutesyMousey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is my mouse pregnant?

Post by CutesyMousey on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 6:11 pm

As you can see when I got her 5 days ago, she did not look like this. You can see her body in the bottom left, she was lean and had no curve shape...

CutesyMousey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 6:22 pm

It's very possible she is pregnant, chubby mice look different, and don't have that "swallowed a golf ball" look. That's a quick time to gain weight too, so I wouldn't doubt she's pregnant. If you haven't already, I'd definitely suggest reading the breeding packet for info on mouse pregnancy: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CutesyMousey on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 6:49 pm

Thank you for the reply..I’m really overwhelmed right now. I want to do what’s best for her and her potential babies but I’m so new to mice, nevermind babies! This definitely wasn’t my intention. Tomorrow I will set up a nursery tank. Should I put her in it tomorrow or wait a few days before doing so?

CutesyMousey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 6:56 pm

I would put her in it tomorrow just to be safe, since you can't know for sure how far along she is in her pregnancy if she is pregnant. I've heard a lot of mice don't start showing until days before they are going to give birth. Don't worry! If she does end up having babies, she will do all the work of raising them, and all you have to do is keep count of how old they are, and separate them when the time comes. Smile Good luck!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CutesyMousey on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 7:02 pm

Thanks very much! I hope everything goes smoothly too. I’ll keep you updated. I’ve read the info and it’s great and easy to follow, thank you.

CutesyMousey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CutesyMousey on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 3:08 pm

I’ve been told that maybe the change of food might have caused her to bloat but none of the others have. The breeder didn’t give me food so I just gave them what I had, ordinary mouse food. Could she have just bloated up? Looked at her today and she’s still a different shape to the other mice but I’m not sure if she’s pregnant or not and wouldn’t want to risk putting her alone if I’m unsure...

CutesyMousey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Moose on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 11:57 am

@CutesyMousey

I would separate her just to be safe. She does look pregnant to me. I’ll link the breeding packet, make sure you read through the whole thing. It is very informative and helpful.

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

Winter Moose

No Mood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pattgal on Mon 21 May 2018, 2:03 pm

Have you tried weighing her? Or is she still small enough to be filling in? Im sort-of exited for you yet nervous haha
pattgal
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Creative

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down