Setup photos + 'Natural' setup

Go down

Setup photos + 'Natural' setup

Post by Mahjling on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 2:13 am

In a previous topic I was told I should make a post about my setup by @BananaPie so! Here it is, these photos are from a few weeks back, I rotate certain things in and out, but here are a collection of videos and images regarding the girls' setup. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll answer asap! As you can see, it's only semi natural, I haven't really attempted it and there are often drink boxes and other such things Razz

More Images

Video

Basic Info:

75gal tank
Substrate is Coconut Coir and Sphagnum moss
Most of the objects inside are rotated in and out regularly with a few exceptions
Most objects are moved around regularly with a few exceptions (I do not move their house or litterbox...littercoconut?, for example)

If anyone here has any questions, please ask and I'll answer asap!

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

View user profile https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Setup photos + 'Natural' setup

Post by BananaPie on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 12:44 pm

How often do you clean the tank and switch out the bedding? Are you switching it out less than if you used regular bedding? Does it absorb a lot ammonia smell? Because that's what I'm worried about now that I have four mice. Right now I'm cleaning once a week for a 20 long tank.

Hearts
Heart Rainbow2 You can't keep a good mouse down! Cookie Heart   
BananaPie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Cloud 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahjling on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 3:54 pm

'How often do you clean the tank and switch out the bedding'

In total, to fill my 75 to where I like it, I use six expandable bricks of Coir. Once a month, I remove half of it {about 2-3 bricks} and replace it. I never replace more than that. And when I clean it, it doesn't smell, I only do a 'full' bedding change that often because I like cleaning. Every two weeks or so, I do go in and rearrange the toys, and when I do that, I stir the substrate. This makes it so that some of the surface soiling can start to sort of break down. Although even at that point, it doesn't smell--I should add I do have an OCD diagnosis, so I do things unnecessarily sometimes just because I feel I 'need' to compulsively--stirring it does make the whole house smell like fresh clean soil for the day however so I consider that a bonus.

If you don't want to use moss by the way, you can throw in a handful or two of hay and stir that in. The moss/hay is less for odor and more for bulk, for better tunnel building.

'Are you switching it less than regular bedding?'

I have an olfactory disorder and have a hyper increased sense of smell, I need to change bedding like aspen or carefresh near-completely on a weekly basis. I clean the coconut coir out monthly and still can't smell anything, so yes! I'm changing it much less. Even I can't smell anything, and when I can, it's because the litter-box (coconut?) or some toys need some TLC, not the bedding.

In a 20L you may be cleaning slightly more often than I need to clean my 75, but not nearly as often as once a week.

It's also cheaper than care fresh.

Here's 9 bricks of Eco Earth for 27$

Or a single 11lb (11lbs dry) brick of Coir + Peat.

I've used both. The MagJo is safe but is marketed as being for gardening {Organic, nothing more than peat+coir, I promise) so give it a freeze for a day or two just in case any bugs wiggled their way in and the idea of that bothers you.

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by BananaPie on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and links! For the wood, if you're buying from an aquarium store would you still need to bake or freeze it?

Hearts
Heart Rainbow2 You can't keep a good mouse down! Cookie Heart   
BananaPie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Cloud 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahjling on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 8:10 pm

The coconut Coir? or actual branches?

Either way I'd say no. If it's made for pet use, it's usually already been baked or frozen!

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum