Bin cages

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bin cages

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi, I am thinking of going from a 20 gallon tank to a slightly bigger bin cage, but I heard mice can chew through them over night, is this true? I don't want my mice to escape, but getting a big bin is way cheaper than getting a 40 or 55 gallon tank. I just thought a bin cage would be much more fun because I could easily place lots of toys in the cage, unlike a tank.
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Bin cages

Post by MouseLover on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:22 am

Lots of people use bin cages without mice chewing out. That's not to say that they couldn't - you'd want to keep an eye out for chewing, but I don't think it's very likely.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:41 am

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Hi, I am thinking of going from a 20 gallon tank to a slightly bigger bin cage, but I heard mice can chew through them over night, is this true? I don't want my mice to escape, but getting a big bin is way cheaper than getting a 40 or 55 gallon tank. I just thought a bin cage would be much more fun because I could easily place lots of toys in the cage, unlike a tank.

I don't recall how many mice you have but, unless it's more than 5 girls, a 20g tank (or a 20L), is plenty large enough. Remember that mice can become territorial if there is too much room -- they feel that they have to "defend" the premises against intruders (i.e., you) and can even start to lose their tameness. A bin cage is great to have as a
"playpen" and a secure place to put your mice when you do a deep clean of their tank; it can hold toys they don't see day-to-day in their tank, making a visit to the playpen a real adventure!

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:58 pm

@MesaMouse wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Hi, I am thinking of going from a 20 gallon tank to a slightly bigger bin cage, but I heard mice can chew through them over night, is this true? I don't want my mice to escape, but getting a big bin is way cheaper than getting a 40 or 55 gallon tank. I just thought a bin cage would be much more fun because I could easily place lots of toys in the cage, unlike a tank.

I don't recall how many mice you have but, unless it's more than 5 girls, a 20g tank (or a 20L), is plenty large enough. Remember that mice can become territorial if there is too much room -- they feel that they have to "defend" the premises against intruders (i.e., you) and can even start to lose their tameness. A bin cage is great to have as a
"playpen" and a secure place to put your mice when you do a deep clean of their tank; it can hold toys they don't see day-to-day in their tank, making a visit to the playpen a real adventure!
I only have two, planning to get a third. I just like to spoil them. I can't hang stuff from the lid on the tank I currently have so it looks a little empty, that's all. I don't find it easy to cram lots of toys into a tank. Smile
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Since I just made myself realize this is more about having lots of stuff for them to do, rather than having lots of space for them, maybe I should get a bin cage about the same size as a 20 gallon? That might work. Thanks MouseLover as well, I'll keep that in mind and watch for chewing If I do decide to get a bin cage.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top