The Expansion to The Mansion

Go down

The Expansion to The Mansion

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 1:32 am

Hi- Worried mouse mom again!
So I have 3 does, and they're in a large bin cage. However, I will be expanding what I call "The Mouse Mansion" into two bin cages connected via plastic tunnels. Both are 64 quarts with large ventilation panels. Additionally, we now have the "Time out" tank, for my kind of angry mouse (Skunk). I think she's just feeling a bit cramped with her 2 sisters in the same bin, but she was fine with just one.

Here's my question: Would a female colony do better as a pack of 4 rather than 3? Especially if I have the space for more? I just got these ladies introduced a few days ago, and adding on neutral territory could give me the opportunity to add to their group if it makes them any happier, or if I had to split them I could split them in pairs instead of one going into "time out".

I am SO confused- one moment they're fine, one moment they're fighting (no blood), one moment they're all peaceful, the next they're all ZOOMING around! What is the best, most optimum setup for happy, healthy mice?

GOSH I ask so many questions, but I just want what's best for the adorable little ones Smile

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Expansion to The Mansion

Post by Peachy on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 10:47 am

Don't add any new mice for now. Adding one or two more mice in the future would be fine, but wait until things have settled down until you bring them home. And remember to quarantine! Quarantine allows things like respiratory infections or parasites to be caught and treated before they pass on to your resident girls.

It can take around two weeks for mice to work out their hierarchy and settle down. As long as no blood is drawn and no one is being ostracized, don't separate anyone into time out. Just let them work it. This is SO important in order to have a healthy, functioning colony.

I would also advise not adding on a second bin for a little while. Two "rooms" like this can cause more problems than it solves, especially if one mouse claims one side and won't let anyone into her territory. This is the colony "splitting" and can lead to fights and injuries.

~Alex, Verity, Tulip & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 11:07 am

@Peachy wrote:Don't add any new mice for now. Adding one or two more mice in the future would be fine, but wait until things have settled down until you bring them home. And remember to quarantine! Quarantine allows things like respiratory infections or parasites to be caught and treated before they pass on to your resident girls.

It can take around two weeks for mice to work out their hierarchy and settle down. As long as no blood is drawn and no one is being ostracized, don't separate anyone into time out. Just let them work it. This is SO important in order to have a healthy, functioning colony.

I would also advise not adding on a second bin for a little while. Two "rooms" like this can cause more problems than it solves, especially if one mouse claims one side and won't let anyone into her territory. This is the colony "splitting" and can lead to fights and injuries.

Thank you so much! I was worried I would have to rush the construction of the second bin, but this gives me time- as well as gives the babies their time to figure things out amongst themselves. If/when I add more mice to the colony, they will be quarantined to a slightly smaller tank. But quarantining these girls now would be a bit too late, right? I'm still watching them VERY closely and making sure they don't have any signs of parasites or infection.

I appreciate all the advice and helpful pages you all have on here- it makes things so much easier for a first timer like me! Smile

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum