Is she pregnant or fat!?

Go down

Is she pregnant or fat!?

Post by HollyH8 on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 2:51 pm

So I’m a first time mouse owner and I got 2 female mice from petsmart exactly 10 days ago, I was told they were about 6-8 weeks old. Anyways I have been noticing the brown/white one seems to be getting fatter. I rarely ever see her on the wheel (which she probably goes on at night) shes definately a lot more skittish than her sister..im surprised I even got the pictures I did of her. I put a lot of tissue in the enclosure and she has made a huge nest. The only time I see her out is when shes eating/drinking but again she still just might be really afraid since they’re new! I actually caught her on the wheel with her sister to try and show comparison, I know its hard to tell since the quality isnt great and my DSLR’s batteries were dead. What do you guys think, is she just getting fat or is it possible shes pregnant? Suposedly there were a lot of other mice in the petsmart tank with them but I adopted the last two they had.

HollyH8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is she pregnant or fat!?

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 4:50 pm

Hello Very Happy
I'm not totally sure, but I'm leaning towards yes.
They are both super cute!
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Moose on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 1:56 am

Yes, she looks pregnant to me. I would separate her from the other mouse as mice do better having babies alone. You should definitely read through the breeding packet in the Genetics and Reproductive care section. It's stickied at the top of the list of topics.

Winter Moose

No Mood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 6:18 am

yeah she looks pregnant. you may want to double check that your second mouse isnt male. Good luck with the babies! Smile

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HollyH8 on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 7:14 am

Is it always better to separate them from their cage mate? She just seems so bonded with her sister, they’re always grooming each other/sleeping together. I feel like that might stress her out more? Should I clean the cage? It’s going on a little over a week, I just don’t want to mess with her nest too much so I’ve been spot cleaning. Thank you!
HollyH8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 10:05 pm

@HollyH8 wrote:Is it always better to separate them from their cage mate? She just seems so bonded with her sister, they’re always grooming each other/sleeping together. I feel like that might stress her out more? Should I clean the cage? It’s going on a little over a week, I just don’t want to mess with her nest too much so I’ve been spot cleaning. Thank you!
The reason you want to separate mama from her cagemates is because the cagemates can harm the babies. Sometimes, mice will act as a nanny to the babies, but this isn't always the case and it can be risky to keep mice with a mama and her babies, since you can't always know what will happen. She will be fine for a couple weeks without her cagemates, she has taking care of her babies to focus on Smile

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by HollyH8 on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 9:46 pm

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
@HollyH8 wrote:Is it always better to separate them from their cage mate? She just seems so bonded with her sister, they’re always grooming each other/sleeping together. I feel like that might stress her out more? Should I clean the cage? It’s going on a little over a week, I just don’t want to mess with her nest too much so I’ve been spot cleaning. Thank you!
The reason you want to separate mama from her cagemates is because the cagemates can harm the babies. Sometimes, mice will act as a nanny to the babies, but this isn't always the case and it can be risky to keep mice with a mama and her babies, since you can't always know what will happen. She will be fine for a couple weeks without her cagemates, she has taking care of her babies to focus on Smile

Ok, I separated her into her own cage..I’m not sure if I was supposed to keep her in her current home and remove her sister or vise versa because she seems stressed out with the new surroundings. It’s still hard for me to say for sure if she’s actually pregnant but I guess I’ll find out in about another week if no babies. It’s a waiting game, just hopefully I didn’t stress her out too much!
HollyH8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 10:22 pm

@HollyH8 wrote:

Ok, I separated her into her own cage..I’m not sure if I was supposed to keep her in her current home and remove her sister or vise versa because she seems stressed out with the new surroundings. It’s still hard for me to say for sure if she’s actually pregnant but I guess I’ll find out in about another week if no babies. It’s a waiting game, just hopefully I didn’t stress her out too much!
It's fine that you moved her now, maybe you can move her nest over too so she is less stressed about the move. Make sure to give her some protein-rich foods and lots of nesting material too! Just don't move her once she has her babies or disturb her nest at all once she has her babies, you'll want to wait a few days before even attempting to hold the babies Smile  Good luck!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by HollyH8 on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 11:57 pm

@HollyH8 wrote:

It's fine that you moved her now, maybe you can move her nest over too so she is less stressed about the move. Make sure to give her some protein-rich foods and lots of nesting material too! Just don't move her once she has her babies or disturb her nest at all once she has her babies, you'll want to wait a few days before even attempting to hold the babies Smile  Good luck!

Ok, thank you! I won’t disturb her at all other than to give food/water. I haven’t tried hand taming at all yet anyways so no point in stressing her out now. I made her a nesting box out of a baby wipe box and I filled it with lots of tissue paper but she has yet to go in it, she’s been under her wheel since I put her in there :/ hopefully tonight she checks out her surroundings and finds the water bottle.
HollyH8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down