My mouse is scared of her new cage

Go down

My mouse is scared of her new cage

Post by Mokona on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 1:21 pm

Hi all !  Ear wiggle

I am a new mice owner. Last Sunday I took my new two mice home, Sneaky and Mokona.
I brought a cage (plastic tank) after the advice the girl in the store told us. However, after a day I was able to see condensation where they used to sleep and decided to go for another bigger cage.

I transferred the mice to the new cage with a bit of difficulty as they are not tamed yet. Sneaky got used to it straight away and already loves to climb up and down the tubes and bars. Mokona, on the other hand, seems to be really scared of the tubes. Since I've put her in there, she only went up one floor and seems to be stuck there. She has slept all day in her wheel and doesn't have any bedding or water up there. She walks around, inspects the tube but then run straight back to her safe place, the wheel. When she is not playing, she grooms herself a bit but just stays in a ball position and looks like sleeping.

I gave her a bit of water and she drank a lot, the poor thing was so thirsty.

I have attached a picture of their new cage below. You can also see Mokona and where she is staying for more than 24 hours now.

Should I let her be and explore the cage or should I transfer her to the bottom of the cage where she would be comfy until she learns that the tubes are not actually scary but fun ?

https://ibb.co/d1YaS8

Mokona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My mouse is scared of her new cage

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 9:28 pm

That cage must have been pretty expensive. If it's not too late I would say return it to be honest. You could probably get a 30 gallon tank or more for how much that seems to be. This cage will take a lot of work seeing as there are different levels and tubes.
Or you can keep it and try to encourage her to not be afraid and explore.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mokona on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 7:23 am

Hi Nijimi,

Thanks for your answer !

Yesterday night I moved out to the bottom of the cage. She seemed really excited and explored a lot. She went up the tubes to the nest so going up the tubes is not an issue at all.

However, she is now stucked on the other side as she seems terrified to go down the tubes.
I will try to give her time and encourage her but how would you advise me to do that as she is a little anxious mouse and is not tamed yet ?

Mokona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 10:54 am

She's not used to her surroundings so she should be scared but really it takes time. I'd say move all the necessities on the very bottom where she can get it and she'll be fine. I think but I'm not totally sure that mice should be left to their new homes for 1-2 weeks to get used to them. But if she is used to it sooner, you can do the bathtub method where you let them run around and get to know you.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mokona on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 1:57 pm

Thank you very much for your pieces of advice, when we got back home today we moved their house (nest) to the very bottom.
She went upstairs, tried to escape by climbing on the walls, freaked out big time so we had to intervene. She then learned how to use the tubes and is now going up and down without getting stuck. She is still a bit unsure but she figured it out !

So, for the safety and well-being of our little nervous mouse, thank you very much again ! (We are mice first timers so we might come back here for some more advice Razz )

Love

Mokona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum