Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Worried About My Girlies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Worried About My Girlies

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:37 pm

Hey guys! Sorry I've been a little quiet this week, but I've been so focused on my new kitty that I've barely had time for anything else! I've been so focused, in fact, that I've been neglecting my girls this week, but I plan to change that come tomorrow. They have to come first, after all. But I digress.

So, I"m a little worried about all my girls. There are a couple things going on. The first is that they've been sleeping a lot. Like, way more than is normal for them. They used to be up at all hours of the day and sleeping in between, but lately they've been completely nocturnal. I see one of them maybe once during the day, but otherwise they're in the nest sleeping from dawn to dark. I don't even know if this continues into the night because I've been trying to sleep more, but I haven't even seen all of them up and awake together before today since maybe a week ago. Another thing started maybe yesterday? All of their fur looks greasy, like they haven't been grooming. It started with Mabel, but now all of them look greasy. Mabel and Rosie more so than Egg and Cow.

I'm not really sure what's going on. I know they're all getting older, with Egg turning a year old in a few days and Mabel and Rosie starting to approach two years. But I feel like it's strange that this is all happening at once. And another thing is that since the whole tapeworm incident, Mabel hasn't gained back a single gram of weight. She still feels like a cloud, and she seems a little weaker. I'm really worried. I'm gonna call their doctor tomorrow to discuss this, but does anyone have any thoughts? No one really said anything when I brought up Mabel's weight a couple weeks back. I'd really appreciate some help.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Worried About My Girlies

Post by peas on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:17 am

Whenever my meecers are in a funk, i up the amount of protein and healthy treats i give them as well as more play time. A couple doses of play time a day, even if they are short, helps get feel good chemicals flowing in their bodies.

You probably don't want to up the amount of protein too much for the 2 year olds, providing they are eating a fair amount but healthy treats and snacks is a must and finding something they love to do that stimulates their minds. I like to wrap my treats, the ones they go insane for, in toilet paper so they have to chew through it. It usually takes them a minute or two but it's like they are unwrapping a present.

If Mabel is having trouble with weight still, make sure to feed her a good amount of healthy treats with some one on one time. Does she have an area where she can play out of the cage? Put her in there for a few mintues with a wheel and some stuff to climb and a bunch of good treats.

I generally feed my mice their treats in the morning and at night so they have 2 times a day to look forward to. I haven't had a problem with them not eating, only once with stubborn females a long time ago but that was probably more to do with them hating barley.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:42 am

When I've had elderly mice, they have eventually gotten to the point where they eat/drink and sleep, and don't do much else. However, this has been a very gradual process, with them sleeping more and more, and playing less, each month or so. I agree that it if it has happened very suddenly, then I doubt it's old age (and Egg is still fairly young at 1 year old).

I'm sure they had a fairly stressful time during their medical treatments, is it possible that they're just recouping? I like Peas' idea of extra healthy foods for them, as I'm sure they've still got a bit of strength to build up after the tapeworm. Speaking to their vet is also a great idea.

Try to think if anything else has changed lately that may be causing them to be more stressed or lethargic. E.g. what's the weather like where you are at the moment, is it very hot? Is it possible that they're stressed out by the kitty's presence? Has anything changed in their diet?

Regarding the greasy fur... I guess they could be grooming less if they're very sleepy. Other causes of greasy fur I have heard of are mites, or too much protein in their diet. Mites could also caused them to be lethargic... when's the last time they were treated?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:31 pm

It's possible that your two old ladies age is just starting to catch up with them. When Gilly and Furgie slowed down, so did everyone else. The young ones just preferred to spend their time with them rather than run around.

Oddly enough though, Gilly and Furgie are 26 months old now and are running around like kids. I can't explain it. They looked real rough a few months ago and I was sure they were on their way out. I didn't do anything different. I just let them be.

About the greasy fur, sure it's possible with their antibiotics and recent illness that they got mites. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a course of ivermectin.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:43 am

Alright I'll start another round of ivermectin. I called the vet about Mabel, and we're gonna try a round of herbs. I hope it helps.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:21 am

scaredymouse - maybe Gilly and Furgie have a new lease of life with young Jellybean around Ear wiggle I've had old girls who've seemed to perk up with younger mice around!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:46 am

They actually started to perk up when I got Bitsy and Annie. They were supposed to be Delilah's new companions. I wanted her to have support before they died. I only got them about 4 months ago, as Gilly & Furg were coming up on 2. And they perked up a bit then, too. But they really love that little Jellybean. I mean, who doesn't! Even Bitsy likes her.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:39 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:I called the vet about Mabel, and we're gonna try a round of herbs. I hope it helps.

Ah, I am dying to know what herbs. Maybe you could ask her what's in it for me? I'm just so curious! If it's not possible, no worries. I just enjoy having something else mouse related to research. Smile

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 pm

It's called H111 colonguard powder. I can ask her next time I see her if you'd like.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:03 am

Thank you. I'm not turning up a lot of results so far, though I did find this page that lists "Colonguard."  Is that it?  Sorry to be a pain. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I truly am just curious.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 am

I'm interested too Smile I've never heard of mice being treated with herbs, sounds interesting.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:44 am

That sounds like it, yeah! And don't worry about it, I don't mind.

Trust me, Mouselover, I wish my vet would cool it with the herbs. They're an absolute pain to work with, it's impossible to measure out the tiny doses on my own, and they don't come mixed in water so I have to try and do it myself. Besides, I always doubt that they'll even work, so they just feel useless.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top