Not An Ideal Situation.. Accidental Pregnancies. *HELP*

Go down

Not An Ideal Situation.. Accidental Pregnancies. *HELP*

Post by JuniperBerry55 on Mon 30 Jul 2018, 9:55 pm

*Sigh* I am really unimpressed this is happening, but I've just got to stay calm and deal with it.

I was gifted a Long-haired black tan doe from a mousey friend of mine, she had gotten three sisters from a breeder and knew I loved black and long-haired mice and that I had room for some extra females. She gave me one of the sisters and I was very happy and had plans of breeding her to one of my males. Obviously, you can tell what happened.

Miss Adelaide is a buck. She - now known as he, was living with my 5 other females since the 15th of July, so that's 16 days. At the time I stupidly didn't even think to check its sex, I guess I was thinking "It came from a breeder, my friend said it was female too, so of course it is" It was quite a shock when one of my mice came out looking like it swallowed a golf ball, as I wasn't expected it at all.

Two of them are 100% pregnant and I have separated them each into the only two spare cages I have, my other two spare cages are taken up by the two different males I am currently finding homes for, I only had a litter not long ago so still have two babies left. I'm trying to think of ways I can split the 40 gallon to separate the other two that might not be pregnant (But come on, they probably are), what is the best way to split a tank temporarily? Then the last one I will probably make an extra bin cage for.

I'm a bit nervous as one of the females (one of the lesser pregnant ones) have never had a litter before and shes almost 7 months old. Her two sister have had one litter each and are the same age. The last two I'm not as worried about since I was planning on breeding them and they are still young enough to safely have a litter - 14 weeks old.

Now, five pregnant does might not sound like a lot for some of the larger scale breeders out there, but I'm only what you'd consider a hobby breeder, I only have one litter at a time. I'm quite worried about the potential for a minimum of 50 mice babies. I've never had to cull before but I'm thinking that I will cull most if not all the males as I can't afford to have that many separate cages. I would appreciate some advice on how to cull as I don't really know what I'm doing.

I haven't been breeding long, so all the genetics I'm still getting the hang of. So I'm wondering what all these babies might look like, even though that's the least of my worries.
Dad is a Long-haired black tan, apparently, the mother was fawn pied, all the does he impregnated are:
- 1. Black tan
- 2. LH Chocolate (poor) Dutch
- 3. Pied Seal Point Siamese
- 4. Black Tan Pied
- 5. Agouti Siamese Pied

Sorry this is so long, and thank you for reading. Any extra tips or advice on what to do is much appreciated! x

Remembering: Fey, Aurora, and Dahlia  Rainbow2
JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Not An Ideal Situation.. Accidental Pregnancies. *HELP*

Post by CallaLily on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 10:09 am

Ack, I’m so sorry you’ve found yourself in this situation. hugs. I don’t have any experience with breeding so I’ll leave those questions to others.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by JuniperBerry55 on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 4:47 pm

Thanks, I'm feeling a bit more organized now that I've made a few extra bin cages and separated each into their own cage. Luckily the mousey friend I got the so-called female off agreed to take him back, so that's one less mouse to worry about.

Remembering: Fey, Aurora, and Dahlia  Rainbow2
JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down