Old Disabled Mouse Advice?

Go down

Old Disabled Mouse Advice?

Post by River on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 7:50 pm

This is about my Graham. She's a notable amount over two years old, but I'm not sure exactly how much.

Graham also has OCD, which most of you know. It went away but flared back up again after her cage mate died. I will not be continuing this colony.

Now...with old mice, I know some people say not to rearrange the cage often. Others say mice are already pretty blind as it is. However, I don't really have a choice -- with her condition, she needs the cage rearranged often. Luckily this doesn't seem to bother her...but she's having some struggles lately.

She has a lot of scar tissue from her old wounds. They had been very severe (they're not too bad now), and I think this makes things a little tight. This combined with old age and new sores means she has some difficulties with things like balance. She falls in her food bowl a lot when she's trying to eat, which leads to a panic as she tries to put herself upright, so I've had to get rid of it and feed in a pile on the floor. This is less sanitary, I assume. Any ideas?

This also means she doesn't climb well, and she's not as agile as she once was. She's not interested in using her wheel anymore, either. She can still run very quickly (you should see her when she realizes it's medicine time), but I'm having trouble entertaining her and distracting her OCD. The only perk about all of this is that she sleeps more and so the wounds aren't too awful.

I don't think she can see very well but she never really did -- albino eyes have low vision to begin with.

How would you care for a mouse like this? She's already back on medication. Thanks.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Disabled Mouse Advice?

Post by CallaLily on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 8:38 pm

I would keep things low but still change it up often for her. Things like food and water can stay in the same spots, if you think that’s best, and close to the nest for easy access. No worries over feeding outside of a dish. Honestly most of my mice kicked it all out anyway and lots of people prefer scatter feeding - so there’s no harm there.

Mice rely mostly on smell and feel to get around anyway.  Poor eye sight shouldn’t be a problem. But definitely keeping things low for a weaker wobbly mouse is a good idea.

It’s tough coming up with new ideas to keep a bored mouse entertained, especially when they’re a bit limited with getting around. Just try changing up textures and arrangement as much as possible. Treat puzzles and dig pits (shallow if need be). Maybe new tastes and smells too?  Like a new forage mix or a new veg/fruit or “cat grass”?

Last edited by CallaLily on Thu 02 Aug 2018, 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Thu 02 Aug 2018, 7:38 pm

Sure, food on the floor is fine. You can try it out and see if little Graham seems to like it served that way. But if you'd still like to keep the food bits together a little neater, here's something you could try.

I drove around with little Miss April in the car with me a lot. I worried about things flying around in her travel bin even if I made a turn, let alone had to slam on the brakes. So I bought some plain brown nylon knee-highs, and I cut them across in half. The toe half, I'd just roll the open edge down, down, down, until I had a little soft saucer to fill with mouse chow. The other half, I'd tie a knot in one end, then roll the open edge down, down, down, and make another little soft saucer. It seemed to work out just fine -- April had no trouble figuring out that it was just another food bowl, I never noticed her snagging claw in the material, AND they last a long time since you can launder them!

Can you post a current picture of Graham? I'd like to see how she's doing since those rough weeks she had last winter, and I imagine other folks would be happy to see her sweet little face. (Thanks.)

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 4:04 pm

Thanks!! I got her a cat grass plant and I wasn't entirely sure what to do with it so I just...popped it in the cage soil-stuff and all, lol. She loves it, and it's organic! Makes a great foraging toy just shoved in there. I'm allergic to grass though, so, annoying for me but...she's happy.

Here she is playing:

Here's a picture of her 'old lady' set up, kind of a WIP but, oh well.

She's gone off to bed but I'll get a picture of that little face soon! She's a little bit rough (mostly just bald and scraped, though...thankfully no serious wounds this time, but her paws a little inflamed. Metacam for that!), but she's still super cute in her own way. The absolute love of my life.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 6:16 pm

Looks good! Glad to hear she enjoyed the cat grass, sorry to hear it’s bothering you!

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down