Best Mouse Cage

Go down

Best Mouse Cage

Post by nimnim123 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 4:07 pm

Hi everyone!
My lovely boys Jax and Opie are hopefully gonna get a cage upgrade soon! I was wondering what you guys thought was the best cage for each of them. I was considering a tank but I need to know what’s best for concealing odor and keeping my boys active. On one hand, I love wire cages because they get to climb and have lots of exercise space. But on the other hand it’s a pain in the butt since they pee all over the bars and can be a pain in the neck to clean. I’m not sure what I’m looking for but I’m definitely looking for suggestions! I don’t have any space for a bin cage but if a good wire cage can be reccomeded or maybe cool ways to spruce up a potential tank it’d be much appreciated!
Thanks!

nimnim123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Mouse Cage

Post by AmyLynn on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 4:48 pm

Well Hello There!

Based on what you have said.
* Limited in space
* No Bin Cage
* want to reduce smell
* wants have ability to climb
* easy to clean

I would suggested getting an aquarium with a cage topper.
They come in a few sizes. This will be space efficient, no crazy tubes to clean, and have the best of both the tank and the cage. They can dig without a mess and you can hand on the bars and they can climb. The top "cage" come of and can be cleaned while they are in the tank if they get it dirty more often. It offers extra ventilation that a tank alone doesn't offer as well. There are many companies that sell them.

Here are some possible examples/idea:

US - https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufacturing-Chew-Proof-Small/dp/B0027J381U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1535145775&sr=1-1&keywords=cage+tank+topper

UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Friends-Savoy-Gerbilarium-Accessories/dp/B005CAWGTG

I would NOT choose the Kaytee CritterTrail 2-Level Habitat!
It is a nightmare to clean because of the way it is set-up. it is not even easy to take out the wheel to clean. It appears spacious but it is not. You can not fit anything in it and the platforms are useless. The water bottle is awful and due to the inside height restriction is is very hard to use a different one ....ok so there is more reasons not to but I am clearly starting to rant so we will stop right here....Just don't do it.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nimnim123 on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 8:52 pm

I’m opening up to the possibility of a bin cage, although rather then have the ventilation be on the top, have the mesh all around and stack another bin, with another mouse, above it. Thoughts? Have any of you made bin cages with a door in front that opens? I want to make it so I can open it up without having to open the lid. I don’t know if anyone managed to figure that out, but it’d be much appreciated if someone could offer suggestions. Thanks!

nimnim123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 10:50 pm

@nimnim123 wrote:I’m opening up to the possibility of a bin cage, although rather then have the ventilation be on the top, have the mesh all around and stack another bin, with another mouse, above it. Thoughts? Have any of you made bin cages with a door in front that opens? I want to make it so I can open it up without having to open the lid. I don’t know if anyone managed to figure that out, but it’d be much appreciated if someone could offer suggestions. Thanks!

Here’s one YouTuber’s idea for a front opening on a bin cage. https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2977-diy-sliding-screen-doors

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin, Hershey & the Oliebollen Boys, Emrys & Cream
+3 babies!
Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Shocked

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 1:09 am

@nimnim123 wrote:I’m opening up to the possibility of a bin cage, although rather then have the ventilation be on the top, have the mesh all around and stack another bin, with another mouse, above it. Thoughts? Have any of you made bin cages with a door in front that opens? I want to make it so I can open it up without having to open the lid. I don’t know if anyone managed to figure that out, but it’d be much appreciated if someone could offer suggestions. Thanks!

I've made quite a few different bin cages with openings and ventilation on the sides! It's definitely doable, and I'd be totally willing to help you out with different options if you're interested/need ideas!

Cool mouse mom to: Checkers, Clue, Mahjong, Dragon, Peebee, + Pumpkin
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Jay, Sid, + Zola
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

View user profile https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nimnim123 on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 8:48 am

That’d be great! If you could possibly show me some pictures or provide some type of instructions that’d be absolutely amazing and very much appreciated!!!

nimnim123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 3:34 pm

@nimnim123

Okay, so, I have a photo album of my bin cages here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dfoHopG3321hKn3w2

Some of them are more updated than others, but there are a few different examples of doors that open from the front!

The first time I did it, I actually took the door off of a wire mouse cage and mounted it onto the front of the bin. (You can see it here and here.) It worked pretty well, thought there were a few hiccups.

The rest of my front-opening bins have used variations of the sliding screen door that CallaLily linked earlier. It's not super hard to install, and it works like a charm! The only thing to really be worried about is making sure that the wire mesh completely covers the door/window frame so that the mice can't squeeze out. This is my preferred method now although I do want to play with another wire door from the wire cage I got when I adopted Zola...

Another method that might work is using a bin that already opens from the front such as the Rubbermaid All Access bin. I considered using one when I first looked into making a bin, but I decided against it, so I don't know for sure how well it would work for mice. Just figured I'd toss it out there in case you wanted to investigate. Here's an example of this type of bin being used as a reptile tub.

If you like one of these options I'm totally game to help you out more if you need it, just let me know! c:

chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by nimnim123 on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 5:50 pm

Do you have any ways where you were able to turn the mesh into a door? I’m considering using the sliding screen but something smaller would be nice too.

nimnim123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 6:07 pm

I haven't tried it myself but I'm sure it's possible!

I think you could alter this door idea to make it work with a wire mesh frame; attach the wire mesh to a small wooden/popsicle stick frame, and then use the zip ties like the writer of that DIY did. To seal it, you could attach some kind of small hook that would hold the door closed, or just emulate what she did with the latch.

I would keep in mind, though, that a smaller door means less access to the mouse, which could be an issue if you don't also have top access!

chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Thu 30 Aug 2018, 12:27 pm

@nimnim123 Any update with your cage quest? Smile

chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by nimnim123 on Thu 30 Aug 2018, 12:45 pm

Sorry I never got back to you! I’m about to start a new job and with my first paycheck I’m planning to put it into a bin cages for my babies. I’m gonna use that popsicle stick suggestion and try and see what I can do. I’m also getting a rabbit on Sunday so the cages might have to wait until I have the funds available to make them. Hopefully soon though! Thank you for all your help Smile

nimnim123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Thu 30 Aug 2018, 1:17 pm

@nimnim123 That's alright! Just wasn't sure if you saw that I responded. Smile

Congrats on the new job! And the bunny, that's also exciting! (I wish I wasn't allergic to rabbits... they're too cute!)

When you're able to, please post pictures of the bins! I'd love to see how it works. Very Happy

chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ on Thu 30 Aug 2018, 3:16 pm

Unrelated, but I have to say I love that you have researched this thoroughly and that you are so determined! Your babies must be happy to have such a loving owner. Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum