Pregnant mouse dilemma

Go down

Pregnant mouse dilemma

Post by Squidly on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 6:56 am

Hi friends! So, I adopted 3 female mice from a local shelter. They were part of a rescue operation where about 4,000 rodents (all kinds) were being smuggled in a truck somewhere to be reptile food. I know they probably have poor genetics, and I am just hoping to enjoy their short lives and give them a comfortable home.

I noticed a couple days after I adopted them that one is quite fat. Ho boy.

I am pretty sure she's pregnant, she looks like a beach ball compared to the other two, and she is far less active. Soooooo, I have been reading all the information on the sticky threads here about caring for pregnant momma. I'm just looking for some advice now, as someone who has never owned mice before.

Should I call the shelter and just ask them to take her back, and I get a different female? I have space to let her give birth in her own enclosure, but I can't keep and then separate 20(ish?) babies. Since these mice are from a bad line, I am also wondering if I should sell the babies as food. Sorry if that offends anyone, but this is not responsible breeding and was obviously someone's mistake. I'm just not sure what to do, because I cannot keep all the babies, but if I return her to the shelter, they might also screw up and accidentally breed more mice and then try to rehome them all, and not sex them properly. Not sure what to do here.
Squidly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pregnant mouse dilemma

Post by CallaLily on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:50 am

These are the types of questions that no one can really answer for you. You could A) return the pregnant mouse to the shelter or B) keep her and then try to find homes for the babies yourself (maybe see if the shelter can help?). What type of home you find suitable is also up to you. I know just from reading on this forum that finding homes for mice can be difficult. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Squidly on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 10:15 am

True. I was hoping the great mouse sage would bestow boundless wisdom and give me the perfect answer. Cool I'll call the shelter and see what they think.
Squidly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 10:21 am

If they would help you place the babies, that would be awesome! Fingers crossed. Very Happy

CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by Squidly on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 9:11 am

Ok, sooooo I just talked to the shelter. She can't be pregnant because they have had this group of mice for nearly a year! I am really shocked! She looks like she swallowed a golf ball! I guess it's time to really make sure she has a good diet so she maintains a healthy weight. It's crazy how pregnantly pear shaped she is compared to the other two Shocked
Squidly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 9:47 am

Can you post a picture? She may just be overweight. That pear shape can come with chunky older gals. But if she very suddenly had that swallowed a golf ball look, she could be bloated or it could be a tumor. If that’s the case a trip to the veterinarian might be in order.

I had an older gal suddenly look pregnant though I knew that wasn’t a possibility. Her swollen belly was also a little misshapen. Our vet did an X-ray to confirm an abdominal mass.

CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by Squidly on Tue 28 Aug 2018, 12:36 pm

Okay some good news. Sorry for the late reply, I had so much work and just got distracted for a bit.

The fat one is actually slimming down, and the other two who looked quite thin are filling out! I think there must have been some feeding dynamics at the shelter (7 were kept together in a big cage) that created an imbalance in their food intake. Now that all 3 seem to get along and eat a mixed diet, they are all starting to look more the same. I thought the thin ones were just old, but now their coats are getting shinier and they just look better in general. Meanwhile Miss Plumpy is start to look less golf ball and resembles the other two more and more.

I will still keep an eye on things and consider the vet if anything changes. Overall though I'm really happy with how they're turning out and they seem to be getting healthier. I'll try to get a picture soon -- they're just so squirmy and not tame yet!
Squidly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Susieep on Tue 28 Aug 2018, 12:45 pm

Aww good news that you've noticed a positive difference in them!

Susieep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down