Help- Preggers Foster Mice

Go down

Help- Preggers Foster Mice

Post by FosterMom on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 12:07 pm

First post - hope I'm doing this right. I'm a small animals and exotics foster parent. I recently got a group of 6 mice. No clue about their background. Two are definitely boys, three are definitely girls, and one won't let me get a good look but I'm guessing a girl. I immediately separated the boys into two separate tanks because I have no idea their background and don't want to risk fighting. I'm making the assumption that all the girls are pregnant. I heard that sometimes females that have a little a little after another female will panic because her children are smaller and will eat them because she thinks they aren't as healthy. So because I have no clue when they all got preggers, I went ahead and separated the girls into separate tanks as well. I gave them all nest boxes - a little smaller than a shoebox and lots of paper bedding and toilet paper to shred and nest with. Water bottles and food for all, and I only have three wheels so half of them have wheels. Plus some random stuff to chew and explore. They don't mind me being in the room or looking in the tanks, but they avoid my hands when I reach in and they won't take treats from my hand. I know that I'm supposed to start handling baby mice at 72 hours, but not supposed to touch the nest box before then. How do I tell when the babies are born? I'm not even 100 percent sure they are pregnant let alone make a guess at when they're due. Literally any advice on anything would be helpful, but especially how to encourage them to let me handle them and how to tell when the babies are born without disturbing mom's nest.

FosterMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help- Preggers Foster Mice

Post by FosterMom on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 12:08 pm

The photo is of the trip home with them. All six in a five gallon tank.

FosterMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 8:43 am

Welcome! Wave

Have you seen the forum articles on Breeding and Taming? There’s a lot of great info there.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by FosterMom on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 11:14 am

Yes, I've read it like three times but I'm so new to mice I'm starving for information on this.

FosterMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FosterMom on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 11:23 am

My biggest worry with handling is I'm worried about the pregnant girls panicking and struggling or jumping and hurting themselves. The boys I worry less and I feel like I have more time but I'm hoping to get the moms comfortable with handling so they their kits are more comfortable with me as well but I also don't want to cause any stress or panic that could hurt their health because of pregnancy or recent birth.

FosterMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri 05 Oct 2018, 9:55 am

Sorry I’m only now responding. 

I would just handle the moms in their cage if possible or very carefully move them to a safe play space in a box. Then just let my hand sit in the cage/play area with them and allow them to climb on and off my hands at will. Instead of trying to lift them or hold them.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by FosterMom on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 12:46 pm

Update- three females have litters, and the last female still has five days before I am declaring her pregnancy free. This is a lot of mouse in one household.

FosterMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down