My female is Pregnant + Updates

Go down

My female is Pregnant + Updates

Post by Sparrow on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 2:35 pm

I really need help. I'm sorry if what I'm about to say is going to be confusing, there is a lot that I need to explain. I have made the actual questions bold, in case you'd like to skip my rambling.

So I rescued five gorgeous mice two weeks ago, from a guy who was going to drown them. Four females and one male. The male passed away the same day I got them. So I brought all of my "females" to the vet. Turns out that only two out of the four were actually females! So I separated the males into their own cages and kept the females together, while watching out for signs of pregnancy. One of them started to look really round, pear-shaped almost and sure enough, the vet confirmed that she is in fact pregnant! Due to give birth any day now but the other female is not, which honestly is a huge relief.
The vet gave me some advice on what to do next, but I'm still confused and worried. I also read the breeding packet, but there are a few things that I would like to clear up, just to be sure.

First of all, should I leave the sister in with the soon-to-be mother to be a nanny? Or would it be better to separate them?

I will start introducing myself to the babies after 72 hours and separate the males form the females at 4 weeks, leaving the females with the mother for an extra week. Would it be okay to keep one or two of the females with the mother permanently? I don't want to risk one of my females being lonely once the other one passes, which is something that is bound to happen with only two females kept together.

The two females are kept in the Alaska cage, which is about 650 sq inches with 0.9cm/ 0.35 inch bar spacing. Is that is of any help? Its about the size of a 40 gallon tank, or a little bit bigger even. Could they stay in that cage or would I need to get something smaller for when the pups are born?

I would also greatly appreciate any advice at all, I'm really worried, I wasn't prepared for this at all...

Sparrow

Virgo Chatty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My female is Pregnant + Updates

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 3:02 pm

I'm sorry I'm not much help as I have no experience with mouse pregnancies, but this forum can be a little slow at times and I wanted to give you an answer so you're not too worried, this is the best advice I have from what I've read and researched over the years. (Btw, I recognize you from HH, I'm HamsterMouse!)

How nice of you to save these innocent little ones. That's terrible someone wanted to hurt them.

Usually, it's better to separate the mice. Some people like to have a mouse "nanny" but unless you have mice from well known lines that you know will not have the instinct to harm the babies, it is probably best not to. They may have the instinct to kill babies that aren't theirs, it's sad but it's nature, so it's safer to leave mama alone with her babies.

Yes, of course you can leave the females with mama! It will likely even be easier than introducing new adult mice to each other.

I would use a smaller cage while the babies are growing, as it will be easier for mama to keep track of them all. You just want a simple setup with a few toys, food, water, and a nesting box.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrow on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 4:04 am

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:I'm sorry I'm not much help as I have no experience with mouse pregnancies, but this forum can be a little slow at times and I wanted to give you an answer so you're not too worried, this is the best advice I have from what I've read and researched over the years. (Btw, I recognize you from HH, I'm HamsterMouse!)

How nice of you to save these innocent little ones. That's terrible someone wanted to hurt them.

Usually, it's better to separate the mice. Some people like to have a mouse "nanny" but unless you have mice from well known lines that you know will not have the instinct to harm the babies, it is probably best not to. They may have the instinct to kill babies that aren't theirs, it's sad but it's nature, so it's safer to leave mama alone with her babies.

Yes, of course you can leave the females with mama! It will likely even be easier than introducing new adult mice to each other.

I would use a smaller cage while the babies are growing, as it will be easier for mama to keep track of them all. You just want a simple setup with a few toys, food, water, and a nesting box.

I knew I recognised those cute pumpkin mice pictures from somewhere! It's nice seeing you on here, you have always been very helpful and friendly on HH!

Thanks for the advice, I moved the pregnant lady into a 10 gallon tank (I hope that's not too small, I'm very limited as the two males are separated into 20 gallon tanks). I actually thought that she gave birth two nights ago but it was false alarm, which luckily gives me some extra time to get everything ready.
The sister is going to be staying in the Alaska cage until the babies are weaned and young males separated. I will then introduce her all over again to her sister and the young females. I hope she wont be too lonely on her own for 4 weeks!

I'm so nervous but I'm starting to get excited on the idea of pups. This is all just so new to me...

Sparrow

Virgo Chatty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down