Culled Pups + Other Questions

Go down

Culled Pups + Other Questions

Post by Sparrow on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 3:53 am

I will be going to the vet on Monday to make sure my girl is okay, but if I could get some answers before then, that would be greatly appreciated!

My female, Foxy, gave birth three days ago. I didn't look at the pinkies, but I did see clear signs that my girl gave birth. She lost all her weight almost overnight and spent almost all of her time in and out of the nest. When I came around to her tank to refill her water and food (when I thought she was asleep) she came out of her nest and ran straight up my arm like she used to before she gave birth to be handled.

I put her right back after giving her a few soft strokes of the back and once again, she went straight to her nest. Came this morning, 3 days after the birth, I decided that I will have the first introduction to the babies. I placed the mother in a playpen and opened the nesting box. I was shocked when I found no babies there.

I am assuming they were culled? But I'm not sure. I immediately booked an appointment to see my vet ASAP! The closest date available is Monday and until then I'm stuck worrying about my girl.

Could anyone let me know what might have happened? Is Foxy going to be okay? I'm so worried about her and I don't know what to do until Monday. Crying or Very sad

Sparrow

Virgo Chatty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Culled Pups + Other Questions

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 4:59 pm

You found no babies anywhere? Did you look very thoroughly? No remains of them anywhere either? It is very normal for mice to cull pups. They usually don't cull the whole litter though unless something is really wrong - or they are under extreme stress. Usually they would cull 2 or 3 pups because they know something about them we don't - such as the pups were sick or weak.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 5:16 pm

So sorry about the babies. Sad It's not too uncommon for first time moms to cull their entire litter. Sometimes they're scared and just don't know what to do with them!

She may have simply hidden them out of the nestbox. One of my first momma's had her babies between the box and the wall.

If the babies are gone, Mom should be fine. You'll want your vet to make sure she's not having any troubles with the milk she wasnt able to nurse. Usually antibiotics take care of this peoblem just fine.

~Alex, Verity & Finnegan~
~Milo~
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrow on Sat 20 Oct 2018, 2:10 pm

Thank you both! I did look everywhere for the babies and I could not even find the bodies... When I couldn't find the babies in the nest, I took it out entirely and looked under her toys and bedding. Not a sign of them.

I am relieved that it's not unusual for a first time mom to cull her babies but I'm still a little concerned.

Could it have been my fault that Foxy culled the entire litter? She is only after turning 4 months old. I hope I didn't somehow stress my girl out. She is my most affectionate mouse, out of the four and is very attention seeking. I would hate for something to happen to her!

Monday cannot come soon enough, I just want to be 100% sure that she is healthy.

Sparrow

Virgo Chatty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down